Water in sub-zero slush pools fails to freeze

ravalox
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Small quantities of water, typically from gulp fish, have a bad tendency to create a liquid tile at the top of a slush pool instead of freezing.  It seems to be entirely random chance whether or not the water will phase change to ice and drop as a resource.  The attached screen is the result of two cycles (from an initial state being a "pure" slush pool with no overflow conditions) and is now a micromanagement issue due to the displacement caused by lack of phase change.

20210408101102_1.thumb.jpg.fce61283fc75c928302124788ec7890c.jpg

Additionally, when a save file is loaded, these trapped water tiles get converted to full ice tiles instead of dropping as an ice resource, indicating to me there is a bug in the phase change interaction associated with the creation of resources (and possibly vacuums).20210408104759_1.thumb.jpg.30f078019bc44f65f105956babf6362a.jpg

This bug has been outstanding since before the full release of ONI, and it's one of my pet peeves since i prefer to keep gulp fish around for food.  If you could please take time to resolve this issue, I would be most appreciative.

Steps to Reproduce
  1. Create a slush pool (-10C or below) that completely submerges a slush geyser
  2. Drop a gulp fish into a slush pool 
  3. Within 1-2 cycles, water tiles will form under the neutronium due to the failure to phase change into ice
  4. Enjoy cleaning overflow condition
  • Like 1

User Feedback

Gulp fish converts any temp polluted water into +9C clean water. The clean water goes up above polluted water till the temperature drops below freezing point. Sometimes the amount of water is not enough to exchange temperature (it is related to game mechanics - small quantities of matter do not exchange temperature, for some reasons - game mechanics). When more clean water added by gulp fish, the water freezes creating in some cases ice tiles. It is actually more realistic that ice goes above water than falls to the bottom like in most cases in the game but can be annoying, yes.

A robominer set in the pool solves the issue temporarily till Klei has another solution of the small packet thermodynamic related issue.

• Like 1

Share this comment