Very small packets of food will sometimes become "pinned" at 1c when moved from fridges to conveyors via autosweepers

Treadwheel
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Dupe

When using an autosweeper to remove very small packets of food from refrigerators, most typically 1000g packets, temperature interactions appear frozen and the items will not change temperature despite spending several cycles surrounded by extremely cold temperatures, such as those sufficient to freeze CO2. This behaviour persists when passed through various cooling mediums, like being conveyored through hydrogen, cobalt tiles, supercoolant, etc, and is not resolved by dropping food on the ground to cool off-conveyor. Inconsistently, the bug can be resolved by combining several affected packets into larger stacks, but this sometimes just results in larger packets afflicted by the same behaviour. Food continues to rot, even in a sterile atmosphere, while affected by this bug, and is read by thermosensors as being 1c, which makes it unlikely it is a visual error alone.

The issue can be resolved most reliably by sweeping the item into an unpowered refrigerator, which immediately resolves the bug and restores temperature interaction. This results in sometimes very dramatic drops in temperature, with packets reaching ambient temperatures within a few seconds - I'm unsure if this represents part of the bug, or just further evidence that they were in an environment sufficient to cool them.

The scenario whereby I encountered this bug involved using several sweepers and several refrigerators to sweep food across a room before loading it into a conveyor, so it might be specific to multiple rapid sweep actions, or perhaps sweeping between fridges. Interestingly, in many cases the food should not have spent more than a few seconds total in fridges, and would have been moved through warm areas before entering the cold biome, so it's possible that the 1c bug represents a floor temperature and not an absolute pinning to 1c.

Steps to Reproduce

1) Cook food and use an autosweeper to place it in a fridge

2) Have an autosweeper chain move packets sequentially between fridges, and ultimately into a conveyor loader

3) Circulate packets through very cold areas - a small, but significant fraction should behave improperly and remain "pinned" at 1c indefinitely

User Feedback

22 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Heat transfer only happens if there is a minimum energy transfer per time involved, see here: https://oxygennotincluded.fandom.com/wiki/Thermal_Conductivity

Could that be what you observe?

Unlikely:

a) Not all candidate packets are afflicted (eg some 1000g packets would cool quite well)

b) Food is rarely (never?) produced at 1c, and so must have undergone some variety of heat exchange to cool to 1c in the first place, not explained by fridge dwell time as this would be, in most cases, only 1-2 seconds (you'd expect to see a spectrum of stubborn packet temperature depending on relative time in fridge)

c) The bug is reliably resolved by loading affected packets into an unpowered fridge. I first tested this directly next to the conveyor line the items were failing to cool on, meaning all things being equal, the packets should have been expected to remain at 1c, not immediately drop as much as 40c in a few seconds.

Most importantly, though:

d) The affected packets transitioned from numerous enough to clog the conveyor to not existing at all when I modified my kitchen automation to remove fridges as an intermediary storage when sweeping items onto the conveyor - meaning they now consistently cool to the requisite minimum of -20 without fail

Share this comment

Changed Status to Dupe

This is currently a limitation of the simulation. We tried removing the limit last year and it caused a lot of instability. We did add a special case where Refrigerators ignore small masses when deciding to go into energy saving mode. I'd like to explore a more general solution though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

On 2/8/2022 at 3:53 PM, EricKlei said:

Changed Status to Dupe

This is currently a limitation of the simulation. We tried removing the limit last year and it caused a lot of instability. We did add a special case where Refrigerators ignore small masses when deciding to go into energy saving mode. I'd like to explore a more general solution though.

Either I'm not reading this report correctly, or this is a different case - the minimum size of food packets afflicted aren't >10g, they tend to be exactly 1kg and sometimes 2-3kg, and they transfer heat appropriately when not swept using intermediary fridges.

Share this comment