Starmap performance issues (HIGH gpu utilization) - very laggy compared to the rest of the game

BEHYSJA
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Linux Pending

When I open the starmap, I notice performance dropping (even when paused).
Moving the mouse around makes the hovered hexagon trail behind on a long delay (0.5-2 seconds), and panning is choppy.
This performance issue does not occur inside rockets or on planetoids, or even when viewing the heatmap unpaused (although that can be pretty slow too, but is probably not related).

Changing from windowed to fullscreen does not seem to have any effect, neither does using low-res textures.

The issue is possible a GPU-utilization issue:

With the starmap open and the game minimzed, In nvidia-settings I see GPU utilization while on the starmap is at 90-99%+
With the starmap closed and the game minimized, in nvidia-settings I see GPU utilization while NOT on the starmap is at <60%

Dedicated memory is stable at 60-90% (1749MB/2048MB).

My active gpu is an nvidia gtx 950

Steps to Reproduce

Opening starmap and trying to interact with it.

• Like 2

User Feedback

Same here.

I noticed that starmap seems to have acceptable performance right after loading a save, but then it degrades really fast. Leaking resources?

Share this comment

On 1/5/2022 at 8:58 AM, Coolthulhu said:

Same here.

I noticed that starmap seems to have acceptable performance right after loading a save, but then it degrades really fast. Leaking resources?

I have the same observation, I think. Maybe it goes into endless garbage collection. That seems to be a general problem with the current version of the game. Automated memory management is nice until it becomes a serious problem.

Share this comment