Quit/start game again waiting period

sakura_sk
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Windows Pending

Lately I got the "app already running" message from steam when quitting the game and starting it again.image.png.9bf0069387cab919a196f68c3003a072.png

I used to "close-start again" the game often if I loaded too many saves in sequence (because RAM gets flooded) or played for too long (because RAM gets flooded) and didn't have a problem before, I didn't have to wait when I saw the app was closed in my task manager.

It seems it takes steam around 20-30 seconds to actually close the game when you quit. Is that something only on my end?

(I tried loading and closing other games on steam and they took 1-3 seconds to stop but not longer)

Restarting when switching between DLC and base game works just fine.

Steps to Reproduce

Open game. Reach main menu. Quit from main menu button "quit". See how long it takes steam to actually do it.

• Like 1

User Feedback

Steam verifies cloud saves each time the game shuts down, and this can take a while if you have a lot of saves. You'll know it's syncing/verifying if you see this animation on the play button. If that's the case, there's not much to be done about it, except maybe archiving old save games.

ki8Gkw9fLV.gif

Another possibility is that the game is actually taking a long time to close, in which case the name in the Steam UI would still be green. If this is the case, would mind posting a log file after a long quit? There may be something useful there...

Do either of those cases seem to be what's happening?

Share this comment

3 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Do either of those cases seem to be what's happening?

I only played in cloud saves 2 times but then I moved even these two cloud saves to local because it took too long to synchronize (that was before DLC)

It's not only one time or sometimes that it takes too long for the game to close. It is happening every single time I close the game after latest updates (I'm don't remember if it was the last one or it started happening in the one before that of testing branch)

I would understand 5 seconds, 10 maybe (I don't have much faith in my pc...) but almost 30 seconds seems a bit weird.

I didn't do much. Just opening and closing the game Player.log 

I cleaned the saves folder to have less lag  when trying to load a save (in another bug report) a few days back. I don't remember having any issues then.

What it looks like now: image.png.d092e7de8e8a141742be62a938e3867e.png (I moved some of the old saves back in the folder and made some new ones)

I also restarted steam (and the pc) since I first reported the bug but it still takes almost 30 seconds to close.

Share this comment

I see! Yeah, it's unexpected that it would suddenly take longer to close. Thanks for the report, we'll look into it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment