Puffs flying from one planet to another

RonEmpire
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Apparently puffs can fly between the surface of planets.    (main asteroid not included)

From what I can see when you roll your mouse over the  (room details overlay)  of the space surface of the planets that is NOT the main base, you will notice that they are connected.   Critters  are counted  between all the surface rooms (since they're connected).  The exact tile count is same.

I noticed the 3 puffs I had on one plant flew over to another planet's surface and laid eggs on the surface.

I have this on stream in case you want to see.

Steps to Reproduce

put 3 puffs eggs on one planet's surface and let them  hatch.   They'll eventually fly to the other planets and laid eggs there.

You an click on room details and it counts critters across all the surfaces of plants that are connected.    

User Feedback

Can confirm this appears to apply to all flying creatures, including flying dupes.

I did some testing with a Shine Bug, and think I might have gotten closer to the source of this bug (heh). (This might be a little lengthy/scatterbrained, because I was continuing to research as I wrote this post.)

Here's a shine bug on the west side of my "third" world. (Only accessible by rocket.) The game lets some stuff render even, on other worlds, so you can see Devon's name and oxygen bars. (Ignore the broken abysallite, it was part of my testing, but I don't think it's important.) Also note the wall in the top right, it extends as far up as I can build.

Spoiler

bug1.thumb.jpg.f956ebe90c466592e59f22ef8278b67d.jpg

Here's Devon's perspective, on the east side of my second world (accessible by teleporter from my home world). If you switch worlds while you have something selected, it doesn't deselect it, so we still have the Shine Bug selected. Also, Devon has his own "skywall":

Spoiler

bug2.thumb.jpg.24c5215d99aea7fed088e1ab6951e11b.jpg

Here's Devon's navigation. Note how it properly doesn't let him path over the wall, we'll get to that:

Spoiler

bug4.thumb.jpg.177a97ab44c8e043b30bc153a4af0d46.jpg

But here's the bug's bugged navigation! (Normally, the game only shows navigation for the world you're on, but I modified it to skip this check.) Note how the bug is able to navigate over the walls (including the one you can't see in world three), and while up there, can jump worlds!

Spoiler

bug3.thumb.jpg.356cc0b921ee29f0c673b43d5eb9f187.jpg

Also, I find it interesting that in world two (with Devon), the navigation ends right above the wall, but in world three (with the shine bug), it extends significantly farther up! If we zoom out, it's quite significant, actually! Also, it turns out Burnito, my magma world, is stacked on top of world two (that's important later).

Spoiler

bug6.thumb.jpg.c4e129a26831550fba1c510b6c01be1d.jpg

Okay, more interesting stuff, if we teleport Devon to world three (with the shine bug), he is actually able to path over the wall! He can even fly all the way up to Burnito! But he glitches out and disappears when he does this. Also, it breaks the game while he's up there, because I can't pause properly anymore:

Spoiler

bug7.thumb.jpg.793f4655781e90d527db42f3764ada00.jpg

I think the glitchiness is cause by the fact that area up there doesn't actually count as a real world, even though it's navigable. I get lots of errors like these two in the log:

Spoiler

[19:37:21.912] [1] [WARNING] Devon (UnityEngine.GameObject) at 79915 has a valid cell but no world

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at BreathMonitor.IsLowBreath (BreathMonitor+Instance smi) [0x00001] in C:\jenkins_workspace\workspace\SimGame_Windows\game\Assets\scripts\game\Minions\Monitors\BreathMonitor.cs:59
  at GameStateMachine`4+State+TransitionUpdater[StateMachineType,StateMachineInstanceType,MasterType,DefType].Update (StateMachineInstanceType smi, System.Single dt) [0x00001] in C:\jenkins_workspace\workspace\SimGame_Windows\game\Assets\scripts\ai\statemachine\GameStateMachine.cs:2358
  at UpdateBucketWithUpdater`1[DataType].Update (System.Single dt) [0x000b3] in C:\jenkins_workspace\workspace\SimGame_Windows\game\Assets\Plugins\Klei\util\StateMachineUpdater.cs:79
  at StateMachineUpdater+BucketGroup.AdvanceOneSubTick (System.Single dt) [0x00038] in C:\jenkins_workspace\workspace\SimGame_Windows\game\Assets\Plugins\Klei\util\StateMachineUpdater.cs:152
  at StateMachineUpdater.AdvanceOneSimSubTick () [0x00028] in C:\jenkins_workspace\workspace\SimGame_Windows\game\Assets\Plugins\Klei\util\StateMachineUpdater.cs:244
  at Game.SimEveryTick (System.Single dt) [0x0007f] in C:\jenkins_workspace\workspace\SimGame_Windows\game\Assets\scripts\game\Game.cs:1368
  at Game.Update () [0x0009c] in C:\jenkins_workspace\workspace\SimGame_Windows\game\Assets\scripts\game\Game.cs:1344

(Filename: C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/scripts/game/Minions/Monitors/BreathMonitor.cs Line: 59)

So why can't Devon make it over the wall in world two, as well as between worlds two and three? Well, with some more modification (so our view isn't clipped to the map), we can see that the floor of Burnito is actually blocking him! He's too tall to make it through the gap, but the bug isn't! (I can't delete this floor either, it's outside of the buildable area in either map.)

Spoiler

bug9.thumb.jpg.8ce672c52fa4b9789f5d33c53522f3da.jpg

Apparently the "between-world" walls only extend up to the build limit as well, which is why the bug can make it through the gap, but Devon can't.

So here's my final conclusion: There's a one tile "border" of neutronium around all the worlds, but the top row is cleared out to make way for rockets and such. However, this also deletes the top-left and top-right corners of the border, so small critters can squeeze through the corner. Also, any space that's not part of a world (like above world three), is just empty space, instead of being filled in. If there's not a world above a world, then dupes can fit through the space too. The build limit (and sandbox tool limit) seems to extend to, but not include this border, which is why I could block Devon by building as high as possible. (On rocket interiors, top row isn't deleted, so you can't sneak to or from them.)

The easiest way to fix this would probably be to just make it so creatures can't path outside their world bounds (with special consideration for rocket doors). But patching up the world borders a bit, and possibly filling the void with neutronium would probably help too. (But would that have a higher performance cost compared to vacuum? Not sure.)

Oh, finally, you might be wondering what that weird line extending from Devon and the bug was to the bottom left corner. Turns out, it leads to the bottom left corner of the main map. I have no idea what's up with that.

Spoiler

bug5.thumb.jpg.827ba3e92f2016e0b897478822947f8d.jpg

Edited by AntiBlueQuirk

Share this comment