Nuclear Waste pops out of pipes/containers

Medalla
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

I'm starting to use Nuclear Waste for coolant in my current game. I've set up a small loop for a sulfur geyser, and am working towards a nuclear reactor. However on the sulfur cooling loop, i keep seeing the nuclear waste "pop out" of the pipes every so often. There's no Cold Damage/state transition (i have the thermo sensor set to 42c), however slowly but surely a little pool of 10kg begins to for and grow over time, all without seeing a damaged pipe. Last time i mopped it up it was up to 110kg.

For the reactor, i am running petroleum for the turbines loop, and accumulating waste to eventually swap it out. However i noticed the Damage Overheated notification, and it was my reservoir having dumped all of its waste content into the ground (something like 500kg at the time). Not sure how that one happened.

coolant.png

Steps to Reproduce

Run Nuclear Waste through pipes/store in a reservoir. Its not fast but consistent.

• Like 1

User Feedback

It's unclear whether the leaky behaviour of nuclear waste is entirely intended or there are a few bugs in the midst...

Are your aquatuners stopping and starting? That could explain why it leaks, if the aquatuner has stored the waste it will apparently leak after a cycle

Edited by RuiPalhas
reworded

Share this comment

Yeah, the aquatuner in the picture does stop, especially when the geyser is off (even while the geyser is erupting theAT doesn't run continuosly, which is what makes waste so good for a coolant).

Good to know this wasn't something new. Although kind of worried this is the intended behavior for buildings. I Have my setup on a bypass, and yes its the AT tile that seems to be popping out (so the 10KG packet that gets left there). Only thing i could think as a fix would be to put a shutoff just before the AT tile and put both on the same thermo sensor, but that seems risky.

• Like 1

Share this comment

You'd probably need a timer to make sure you close the shutoff before turning off the AT so it doesn't store the waste and cause the same issue again

Share this comment

10 hours ago, RuiPalhas said:

You'd probably need a timer to make sure you close the shutoff before turning off the AT so it doesn't store the waste and cause the same issue again

Yeah i guess a buffer gate can take care of that

• Like 1

Share this comment

We could really do with a developer to explain intent. Nuclear waste popping out of ATs just because they're turned off for a bit in a standard cooling loop design that is trying to cycle stuff around like crazy seems like an outright bug and makes the stuff rather useless despite it appearing to be a high-heat replacement for supercoolant in terms of functionality.

Share this comment