Infinite copper ore from rocket control stations

NeoDeusMachina
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Windows Pending

It is currently possible to create an "infinite" amount of copper ore by constructing and deconstructing spacefarer modules - or at least as much as one can be patient enough to create. The exploit is possible because when creating a spacefarer module, it comes already equipped with a control station made out of 100kg of copper ore. Simply creating a spacefarer module and deconstructing it will refund the full 500 kg of whichever metal ore it is made out of, plus an additional 100kg of copper ore from the control station. This can be repeated indefinitely, thus making it possible to create copper ore out of thin air.

Below, demonstrated with a cobalt spacefarer module:

Spoiler

457140_20211207165322_1.thumb.png.68111a6559b50e8a665f6c66fff332a9.png457140_20211207165354_1.thumb.png.03a165e454e2f967ba17d687a903723b.png457140_20211207165341_1.thumb.png.bfdb91b8164933563844c76f52cfbe0e.png

100kg might not seem like a significant amount, but considering how difficult it normally is to get renewable metal ores, it is an exploit that should be fixed IMO. The exploit can be effectively used on some of the moonlet clusters where metal ores are very scarce on the starting asteroid.

A few suggestions for possible solutions:

- Leave the cost of the spacefarer module to 500kg, but spread the material between the cabin and the control station (400kg, 100kg) and the control station would be made out of the same ore as the capsule itself.

- Do not create new spacefarer modules with built-in control stations - most of the times it needs to be deconstructed to be moved somewhere more convenient anyway. Let the players build the control station themselves out of any material they have available. 

Steps to Reproduce

- build a spacefarer module

- deconstruct it

- profit

• Like 3

User Feedback

it used to drop an amount of diamond and steel when deconstructing spacefarer module. I think they intentionally left this copper ore getaway.

Share this comment

4 hours ago, vincentury said:

it used to drop an amount of diamond and steel when deconstructing spacefarer module. I think they intentionally left this copper ore getaway.

No idea if it was intentionally left out or unintentionally omitted, but I don't believe you should be allowed to -create- resources out of thin air. We'll see what they do with the "exploit" report :wilson_bearded:

• Like 2

Share this comment

I like the idea to have no built-in station. But I believe it is a design choice to have player know that we must have a control station. For most of us here know to destruct it for our better interior design, new players may not know it and can't launch a rocket. After all we don't need anything inside the rocket in base game.

I guess to have built-in control station use the same material with spacefarer module is a better choice. Hope that's not a difficult implementation.;) After all we as devs don't like big changes before release.8-)

• Like 1

Share this comment

It should place a blueprint that you have to deliver the ore to, not a fully built station.

Besides, doesn't the checklist already mention that you need a rocket control station?

Edited by AyCe
  • Like 1

Share this comment