Game freeze

sakura_sk
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Windows Pending

I think I had a graphic glitch 2 times. Screen froze but sounds kept playing and it looked like game was still running (no "application not responding" appear). After a couple of seconds passed like that I just forced closed the game (end task the first time, x window the second time it happened). I can't remember if it happend in the same save file (I play a testing/debug colony and a normal one). The second time it happened I saved the game log and... I think something glitched...

Steps to Reproduce

I just unpaused the save file while in the radioactive planet. "Needy sw 129 next bite"

*the glitch didn't happen when I closed game and opened the save file again and saved it anew "Needy sw 129 bite"

Needy sw 129 bite.sav Needy sw 129 next bite.sav

User Feedback

I loaded the save and it appears to be fine. It's possible that today's update fixed whatever was causing it. Please let us know if it still happens on your computer.

• Thanks 2

Share this comment

@EricKlei it happened again on a different save while loading the save from "last save file" button. Save file loaded normally the second time but game never crashed, there was sounds/music playing but the screen was frozen to the loading pic below. Is it possible to be my graphic card/monitor's fault..? (my pc is a little old.. but I didn't have this problem with the game until recently)

1129997617_screenfreeze.thumb.png.a5b2c147fe17f5f441253510d4529d94.png 

*While in this screen, moving the mouse produced sounds like in a paused game scrolling over tiles (like the game loaded but the visual didn't)

I didn't hit -X- very quickly so the player log got a teeny tiny bit bigger :? (2.5Mb). Should I uploaded it here as a file?

Rustic Burrow 196.sav

Edit: Player log repeated text:

Spoiler

d3d11: attempt to lock null buffer
d3d11: attempt to lock null buffer
d3d11: failed to create buffer (target 0x5 mode 0 size 2176) [0x887A0005]
d3d11: failed to create buffer (target 0x2 mode 0 size 204) [0x887A0005]
d3d11: failed to create buffer (target 0x5 mode 0 size 2944) [0x887A0005]
d3d11: failed to create buffer (target 0x2 mode 0 size 276) [0x887A0005]
d3d11: failed to create staging 2D texture w=64 h=64 d3dfmt=65 [887a0005]
d3d11: failed to create staging 2D texture w=704 h=242 d3dfmt=16 [887a0005]
d3d11: failed to create staging 2D texture w=64 h=64 d3dfmt=28 [887a0005]
d3d11: failed to create staging 2D texture w=64 h=64 d3dfmt=28 [887a0005]
d3d11: failed to create staging 2D texture w=704 h=242 d3dfmt=28 [887a0005]
d3d11: failed to create staging 2D texture w=704 h=242 d3dfmt=61 [887a0005]

Edited by sakura_sk

Share this comment

It's possibly hardware related, could you post your DXDiag? If you haven't already make sure your graphics drivers are up to date.

You could also try switching to OpenGL by adding -force-glcore to your Oxygen Not Included launch options in Steam. (Right click Oxygen Not Included > Properties > General tab > Launch Options)

Share this comment

I don't think anything is up to date. My laptop is a teeny tiny bit old...(I don't know if updating would fix or break it at this point). If it's a hardware related problem my solution would be.. to buy a desktop :lol: 

But here is the DxDiag to take a look. DxDiag.txt

By the way, the game run just fine the next 270 cycles ( I have no idea in what conditions the freeze happens :? )

Share this comment

It looks like integrated graphics driver version is from November 2013 and the most current driver was released in February this year. Of course it's up to you if you would like to try updating, especially since as you say it's running fine.

It might be specific to your hardware but please let us know if you notice a pattern of freezing. 

• Thanks 2

Share this comment

I confirmed updating is not an option. :?

I tried updating Intel graphics and they said "nope!"

Spoiler

629541938_thankyouintel.JPG.df9fcb284b48668f37b44c6df6dfaf82.JPG

I also updated the AMD card that was having problems with another game and was continuously shutting down. It turns out that the updated version doesn't want to wake up after the computer is put to sleep...:roll:

Conclusion: I'm stuck with the old versions until new pc is possible and hope it doesn't happen too often the game freeze for ONI (there wasn't any more freeze-screen so far, it still plays just fine)

Sorry for my old PC... :-(

Share this comment