Fridge heats food up to 2c

Nematrec
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Windows Pending

A powered fridge warms food up if it's below 2c. Even if the surroundings are super chilled for deep freezing.

This causes a major problem for automation setups as an unpowered fridge doesn't send automation signals, especially since deep freeze is required for long term storage

Steps to Reproduce

1. Super cool food

2. Place food in a powered fridge

3. (optional) super cool the area around the fridge

User Feedback

And that's how it should work..! Powering up the fridge means it keeps its interior to its setpoint temperature (2°C) and the food should warm up to 2°C. Just like when you take something out of the freezer and put it in the fridge for it to thaw. Powered fridges shouldnt turn into freezers just because they are built in a cold environment.

• Like 1

Share this comment

8 hours ago, NeoDeusMachina said:

And that's how it should work..! Powering up the fridge means it keeps its interior to its setpoint temperature (2°C) and the food should warm up to 2°C. Just like when you take something out of the freezer and put it in the fridge for it to thaw. Powered fridges shouldnt turn into freezers just because they are built in a cold environment.

So you're telling me to **** off with using automation?

No, the problem is that I have a -25c walk in freezer, with unpowered fridges full of -25c food. I now want to automate stuff based on how much food I have, which can only be done by powering the fridges that will warm the food up by 27 degrees above the ambient tempurature.

Share this comment

32 minutes ago, Nematrec said:

So you're telling me to **** off with using automation?

No, the problem is that I have a -25c walk in freezer, with unpowered fridges full of -25c food. I now want to automate stuff based on how much food I have, which can only be done by powering the fridges that will warm the food up by 27 degrees above the ambient tempurature.

I completely understand what you're trying to do and your struggle - have you tried dropping your food on a weight plate and use automation based on the weight of food on the plate instead? 

The fridge doesn't have an internal atmosphere with its own temperature. From my understanding, it only has a setpoint on the food temperature and brings the food to that temperature when its powered. I don't know if it's a "bug" per se, or just the way it was implemented. The mechanics could definitely be improved: a fridge should only refrigerate, not heat. Perhaps this could be made into a suggestion.

Edited by NeoDeusMachina

Share this comment