BoFA update has severely negatively impacted my performance (maybe)

darknotezero
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: OSX Pending

Hi there Klei,

Since the Breath of Fresh Air update, my performance has taken a huuuuuge hit. When game first loads, lag is minimal, but after I start playing for about 15-20m lag gets noticeably higher - animations get jerky, mouse and keyboard response times get delayed by as much as 1s. It's reached a point where I pause the game to reduce how much ONI is having to do if I ever need to just scroll around to a different part of the asteroid map, and even then, I still get very noticeable lag.

The colony that I'm doing is under 100 cycles old under Classic Terra start. While I've revealed the second asteroid, I haven't actually done anything there yet. By contrast, my prior colony was on cycle 500-ish, and I had three asteroids that I was doing work on that was running better up through Big Merge Update. I haven't spent any significant time on that colony since BoFA to determine if it's colony specific (bc i don't know why it would be).

I should caveat that some or all of this could be a result of my machine more than the ONI update.

For example, even working in non-video/motion-graphics Creative Cloud applications (PS, AI, InD), I can get some mouse click/drag lag that I have to compensate for.

My MBP is also dying - I've hit about cycle 850 out of my battery's 1000 cycle life, so that could be affecting performance.

That said, these MBP issues are not new - the battery has given me the alert that it needs service for about a week, and I've been playing ONI in that time with Big Merge and the performance was not nearly as bad. Maybe it's not related, but i figured more data was better than less data, so thought I'd post it in the event that I am not unique in my issues.

Specs:

MBP 2017 15in

2.8ghz quad core intel core i7

16 gb 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Intel HD graphics 630 1536 MB

macOS 10.15.3

If there's any more concrete data that I can give you, let me know.

Steps to Reproduce

n/a

• Like 1

User Feedback

I seen quite few mentions (on Steam forums mostly) people seem to be having similar performance issues both with SO! and base game after the BOFA update. I'm affected aswell (base game) tho while my CPU is nothing too powerful game was running smoothly before BOFA. Now it slows down to a crawl even with tiny colony.

Both lower and and higher end PC's seem to be affected with varying severity.

One way or another the performance is signifficantly worse after BOFA update especially for base game is like day and night difference.

Edited by ALCRD
  • Like 2

Share this comment