Zero thermal transfer between different gases

Daikataro
  • Branch: Preview Branch Pending

Title pretty much sums it all, if you have 2 different gases, even regular and polluted oxygen, they will transfer absolutely zero heat between them, when they should still even out.

In screenshot 1, you can see I have a pretty standard sandwich of gas, oxygen on the bottom, some polluted oxygen off the polluted ice in the middle, and runaway hydrogen on the top. In the second, you can see the clean oxygen literally next to the polluted one keeps its toasty 24 degrees, to the -22 degrees of its neighbour.

pox1.jpg

pox2.jpg

Steps to Reproduce
Have 2 or more different types of gas in a room, then produce some heat; watch only one of them get hot.

User Feedback

UPDATE: after some more time with the same colony, I can confirm thermal transfer is working halfway, at the very least. Placed a container full to the brim with ice and snow literally right next to a geyser, and I have yet to see any of it melt. Deconstructed the container to see if it helped any, and now I have a huge chunk of ice keeping its chilly -33°C to the geyser's 48 and surrounding CO2 44

EDIT: deconstructed the tile as well, so chunk of ice is sitting directly inside water at 55°C. After 45 cycles, not a single gram has melted, there is literally a 20,000kg chunk of ice sitting there.

Edited by Daikataro

Share this comment

I created an air vent between the swamp biome and the ice biome hoping to equalize their temperatures over time and the 40C air isn't denting the ice's -19C

Share this comment

When I let my dupes put ice in regular containers, it kept melting. When I made a dedicated container for ice, it stopped melting. I guess ice can only gain heat from other items stored in the container?

Share this comment

I use cold o2 that's evaporated from liquid in an area far away from where I dump my chlorine and co2 into the area to use the -200 air to freeze the unwanted gas so I really have no understanding of why yours isn't it may be just to small of a difference with the gasses your using

263E3A1770A05F2B4FEDB3F7B255AA690F205929

Share this comment

Would you call a 40°C/K difference "too small"? Also, when dunked directly into water (a pretty good heat conductor in the real world) that sits at a pipping hot 55°C, the ice keeps its frosty -30°C so that's an 85°C difference, or roughly two and a half times the stable temperature of the human body. Also water coming directly from a geyser doesn't lose half a degree either, both elements keep their respective temperature as thought they were covered in abyssalite (that ironically DOES adopt the temperature of igenous rock biomes)

Share this comment