waterphysics are off

kaare-lonewolf
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

(Sorry if this is not a bug, but I didn't now where else to post it.)

I'd like to be able to fill a container of water from the top, as i tried in small-scale in this picture from my gameplay. Real-life physics would allow this, and I feel that it would be awesome to be able to do this in game as well. My problem is that the water starts to overflow the right side of my wall, instead of just aligning the surface with the Bottom part of the wall. I hope the pictures will help you understand.

water physics.PNG

eksempel.png

Steps to Reproduce
I was using a normal water-pump from a body of water, diving it to my water-storage, releasing it at the very top of the water-storage, output not being under water, and the water was supposed to build up on the left side of the wall, without raising the waterlevel on the right side of the wall.

User Feedback

Not a bug, it's how the game's engine works.

First of all, real life water would act normally in this case. The force of gravity is stronger than the force keeping the left-side gases from expanding. It would only start making sense in real life if all of that gas on the left side was removed, but still, ONI's engine still wouldn't allow it.

It's still possible to do what you're trying to achieve, though. Mass is disregarded when calculating gas displacement, so you can take this to your advantage and use a combination of two gases to block off one side from rising.

kDjtHrC.png

Every tile of oxygen, carbon dioxide and chlorine here are at 1 kg. The water naturally gets pulled down by gravity but eventually stabilises to the same amount of both sides.

• Like 1

Share this comment

Uh, I'm sorry to tell you this, but your "In Real Life" picture isn't what would happen in real life (particularly when the containers have open tops). ONI is doing what reality would do. If one column is taller, then the bottom of that column is higher-pressure than the bottom of the other column. So water flows from the taller column to the shorter column, until they equalize in height.

Share this comment

49 minutes ago, creidieki said:

Uh, I'm sorry to tell you this, but your "In Real Life" picture isn't what would happen in real life (particularly when the containers have open tops). ONI is doing what reality would do. If one column is taller, then the bottom of that column is higher-pressure than the bottom of the other column. So water flows from the taller column to the shorter column, until they equalize in height.

That statement is only true if both columns have the same gas pressure. If the gas pressure is different in both columns, then the height of the water level will also be different.

I agree that it would be nice if ONI had better physics simulation in that respect. But it is not easy.

Share this comment