Water sieve raises water temp 70 degrees

mr peeps
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

(This is a repost from my comment in the general section)  https://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/89270-water-sieve-raises-temp-75-degrees/?tab=comments#comment-1021213

So why exactly does a machine that just runs polluted water through sand, raise water 75 degrees?!?!?!?? That is actually the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Maybe like, 5-10 degrees at most. This is 

1) Absurd

2) waaay too exploitable

seriously why. is this just me? In real life, you wouldn't even need a machine to do this. You just run water through sand. 

Steps to Reproduce
NA
  • Like 1

User Feedback

You're details aren't exactly right, the water sieve does not raise the output temperature by 70°, it outputs at a flat 40°C (104°F), regardless of the input temperature. This is identical to the output of the carbon skimmer, as well as several other buildings.

I agree that it is rather poorly designed, when filtering water through sand can be done easily in reality with zero power or heat, and can be done with high throughput with very little power. The exploitable aspect makes heat deletion trivial with this building.

A solution would be to have a filtration machine that only increases heat by very small amounts, but draws 120W or 240W, and has reduced throughput to balance it from the gameplay aspect. Sand is plentiful, and you can build multiple.

• Like 1

Share this comment

6 hours ago, crypticorb said:

You're details aren't exactly right, the water sieve does not raise the output temperature by 70°, it outputs at a flat 40°C (104°F), regardless of the input temperature. This is identical to the output of the carbon skimmer, as well as several other buildings.

I agree that it is rather poorly designed, when filtering water through sand can be done easily in reality with zero power or heat, and can be done with high throughput with very little power. The exploitable aspect makes heat deletion trivial with this building.

A solution would be to have a filtration machine that only increases heat by very small amounts, but draws 120W or 240W, and has reduced throughput to balance it from the gameplay aspect. Sand is plentiful, and you can build multiple.

That is MUCH better. I spent around 3 hours setting up a water cooling system to only see that it was heating my water more.

Share this comment