Various changes in saved in-game settings

Mastada
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Noticing some strange behaviors starting to pop up in my game. I can't tell how long ago they happened, but I know some things were changed. For example, in the bottom right hand corner, you can see I have a gas filter that was sending NAT GAS to the NAT GAS generators nearby (NW of filter). I noticed, just passing by, that somehow the filter got turned "off", and as you can see, has been sending my NAT GAS to the SW part of the map, where originally I wanted it to send the other gasses. This gas filter has been working for many hundreds of cycles, so not sure what caused it to switch to "none".

To the right of my printing pod I have several hatch farms. I started getting the hatch starving warnings, and I noticed that 3 or 4 of the Critter Feeders - not sure which ones exactly - had been changed from Hatch/Hatchling (sand) farms to other animals. Such things as bugs and nymphs, and had filled these with phosphorite. I switched them over, and it seemed to confuse the game for a couple minutes, but eventually the dupes started putting sand back into the feeders.

I've had a couple of other 'hmmmm' head scratching moments, but nothing that I can specifically point out such as the above two examples.

For the last 30-40 cycles, the left bunker doors seem to be struggling with my setup, in which I have both a manual over-ride and an automated opening of the bunker doors. It had been working just fine for a long time, but it's seeming to get confused at times, refusing to open even when I do a manual over-ride. It had been working fine for quite a few cycles as-is. But since this is hard to replicate, I'm not sure how helpful this is.

Again, it seems I have had a couple of other minor issues, but can not seem to recall off the top of my head. Will update if I should remember them.

BTW, you guys made a fantastic game. Can't wait to see what future content comes down the dupe pike. Thanks for your support and hard work.

FH561 Cycle 579.sav

Steps to Reproduce

Reproducing the gas filter should not be an issue, as you can see how it has changed, and the results of it (the natural gas is flowing to the SW corner of the base, instead of traveling to the natural gas generator. The other issues mentioned just happened. It was not the result, that I am aware, of specific changes that I made.

User Feedback

Hi @Mastada, I don't suppose you have a save file from before things got strange? Bugs like this are quite difficult to track down and the more information we can gather the better.

As well, if you see it happen again, please let us know! We'll also keep an eye out for this kind of issue, thanks for the info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

I've had things like this happen in my game, but i myself can't provide the save for when they happened as its been many cylces since they happened. I've had things like my shove vole ranch suddenly switch from feeding regolith to having iron ore mixed in. I've had a regolith only manual use conveyor loader that dumps extra regolith into my volcano power facility (to be melted into more magma) to suddenly have things like coal and slime end up in it. I've had conveyor loaders that are specifically setup to have ice shipped to melt into water suddenly clogged with other materials. Storage bins set to certain materials suddenly adding a type that wasn't selected by me. I've only ever seen it happen upon loading the game, never while running it. I have rarely had things like coal, metal and nutrient fertilizer end up in a compost building (which i thought this was fixed back a few fixes).

Edited by oconzer

Share this comment

@Ipsquiggle TL:DR Can not replicate. 

After reading your comments I went back to my save files. The first saved cycle I found the change was on cycle 369. The previous saved cycle where it was still working was cycle 337. So I loaded up 337 and just let it run. Periodically I checked in to see if it changed, and it did not, all the way up to cycle 370. So, no replication. I was hoping I could give you something to work with, but the change did not occur, so I guess we just chalk this up and close this out.

Any time there is a chance for human error to be the cause of a problem, I am certainly willing to accept that I might have made a mistake. But i cant think of any way that I could have *easily* changed the filter option on the gas filter without it being obvious, unless there is some sort of keyboard command to change the filter from natural gas to NONE. It seems it would be difficult to change it, accidentally.

And as mentioned in the original post, I have had other little things happen. For example, on two different occasions I had a liquid element sensor go from my setting to NONE. But again, I can't replicate it.

As Oconzer mentioned, I too, often have problems with hatch critter feeders  once I start getting a lot of farms (more than lets say four or five) or perhaps when I get too many dupes. In this colony, I was seeing how long I could last with 100 dupes. And once you get a lot of dupes, sometimes things get a little wonky.

Not complaining mind you. If I can find something to replicate, and make the game better, I'm happy to do so.

If you still wish to see the two earlier save files, I can provide.

Thanks~

Share this comment

@Mastada I figured it wouldn't replicate, but I had to ask... :) There have been several reports similar to yours, I'm quite certain that something is going on. But because it seems to always happen quietly in the background, the current list of culprits consists of: The Whole Game Hahahhahahah :sad: 

The inventories getting strange materials in them appears to be an older, separate issue that we're also still trying to track down.

In any case, thanks for taking the time to report this!

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

47 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

@Mastada I figured it wouldn't replicate, but I had to ask... :) There have been several reports similar to yours, I'm quite certain that something is going on. But because it seems to always happen quietly in the background, the current list of culprits consists of: The Whole Game Hahahhahahah :sad: 

The inventories getting strange materials in them appears to be an older, separate issue that we're also still trying to track down.

In any case, thanks for taking the time to report this!

I personally think it has to do with the sweep (or storage) orders screwing up sometimes. Like if i had to guess (seeing as I don't know how the game is exactly coded), the game is probably having some sort of storage / sweep contamination between dupes (possibly due to seperate thread issue???) that when a dupe suddenly drops a task midway to go do another task, that a dupe that currently is carrying materials ends up picking up the task (without dropping what they currently have) and then ending up causing the mess with random changes to storage (and stuff ending up where it's not supposed to go). As for the errors with the filters, I think that might be isolated to loading the game (I don't use filters as I use automation to sort my gases / liquids via valves and element sensors).

Edited by oconzer

Share this comment

22 hours ago, oconzer said:

As for the errors with the filters, I think that might be isolated to loading the game (I don't use filters as I use automation to sort my gases / liquids via valves and element sensors).

I think there is a decent chance this is correct. Or at least something to troubleshoot. For example, once I get a system going for a few dozen cycles (say, this filtration system in the far bottom right hand corner), and it appears to be working properly, I have a tendency to forget about it and move on to other tasks. It's often when I load in a game and I do a quick overview check of the base, that I often notice something might have gotten changed without my consent.

I realize I just said I don't check old systems often while playing... but over the course of time I'm always checking in on all systems, just not very often. But I certainly do catch them upon loading up a game. Might be coincidence, or there might be something to it.

Share this comment