Vanishing Meteor Blaster

spacet
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Linux Closed

Hello,

I have the issue that my Meteor Blasters (MB) keep vanishing. One moment they are there and working and the next they simply disappear, dropping their current content onto the tiles underneath. There is no warning, no notification, nothing. In the save file provided this happens quite reliably after about a 12th of a cycle with the left MB, about when it reaches 1534.2°C (and a few seconds before the next Meteor Storm hits, which is especially annoying!).
This happened already several times in this game (my first btw, still trying things out) and I had the feeling this is somehow linked to the temperature of the MBs, although I have another save game, where this also happens quite reliably with the other MB when it is only at ~1200°C.
This is also explicitly not an overheating thing, as I get no warnings for that and other overheated buildings - as I observed - take damage and shut down until repaired and not simply vanish. Also I read in the fandom wiki that the MBs cannot overheat.

If this should, however, be intended behavior then please explain to me, what I am doing wrong.

If you need any additional information, please ask.

Best wishes

spacet

The Idyllic Rock Cycle 329.sav (1).sav

Steps to Reproduce

Let the provided save file run for about a 12th of a cycle. (tried it several times and it happened each time)

I am running an Ubuntu 22.4 on an Intel Core i5-7200U with no additional GPU (just the integrated one).

User Feedback

my dude, you have to cool your meteor blasters (for example using conduction panels).

they dont overheat, they straight up melt. the temperature of that varies based on construction material

Edited by SGT_Imalas
  • Like 1

Share this comment

Thanks for the answer. Did not know, that buildings could melt, but it makes sense as a game mechanic. Although the building did not drop the liquid building materials, which I would expect in such a case.

What further confuses me is that it happened at different temperatures (I observed ~1500 and ~1200°C) when using the same material. And this temperature seems unrelated to the material used (in this case Gold Amalgam with melting point 1337 as stated in fandom wiki).

Edited by spacet

Share this comment

It probably did drop the liquid but if there was no background (natural or drywall), the liquid promptly vanished into space. This is an easy way to dispose of liquids you might not want, like nuclear waste.

Which segues to my alternative. @SGT_Imalas suggested cooling the building using the relatively new conduction panel. But since the building sits on a solid surface, you could also cool it by the following:

1. Create a shallow pool backed by drywall so liquids don't escape into space
  2. Drop in just enough liquid (i.e. petroleum or water) to form a slick but not enough to cause flooding
  3. Cool the liquid by running coolant pipes through it.

This trick also works for things like Steam Turbines.

Gold Amalgam melts at 1063.85° Celsius. The wiki you saw might have been quoting you degrees Kelvin.

Share this comment

got finally around to testing.

okay, you are right, they do indeed melt and they do indeed drop their materials. Though not as liquid, but in solid form (at ~300°C, weird, but okay), which is why I did not notice it before, due to all the meteor debris.

and yes, cooling helps:D so thanks again for your answers and suggestions!

(thread can be closed, I guess)

Share this comment