Unplayable lag everywhere.

Onyxlion
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Ever since the last update I get unplayable lag everywhere, even right after starting the game.  Before this update I did have unplayable older saves from the beginning of the spaced out ea.  I have an early ea 1100+ cycle that doesn't run due to performance issues in the later updates but now I can't even load the game or a new save without single digit fps.  Something seems strange here too as if I minimize the game and then maximize it the lag temporarily goes away.

I'm running a 2700X with 32g of ram with an RX580.  Before the radiation updates I was able to play into the thousands of cycles now I can't even start the game without massive performance issues.   Currently the game is 100% unplayable for me.  Please let me know how I can help so I can play again.

Steps to Reproduce

Launch the game.

User Feedback

Could you attach your Player.log file and some save files representative of this issue? It's surprising that the main menu would lag, which leads me to wonder if it's a system configuration issue. Is your graphics driver up to date?

Share this comment

Yes, I am running the current amd driver.  I attached a zip file with the log and other requested files in it to the original report.  Though I don't see that file anywhere.

Player.log

Here is the overlay of the amd software, you can see the huge loss in fps in the graph.  The large spike is going from not in focus, aka minimized, to in focus, aka full screen.  You can see the fps goes from the high 100+ to below 2 and that is just sitting on the home screen.

fps_capture.PNG

Edited by Onyxlion

Share this comment

We found the uploaded zip file (it was missing the .zip extension). We are looking into performance on various saves and I've included yours to be examined. Though upon brief inspection it should not be causing what you are reporting.

Since the issue happens on a new save and in the main menu this leads me to believe there's another issue. Try disabling the Radeon Overlay and see if that solves it. Sometimes overlays can cause issues like this.

Do you experience this with any other games?

Share this comment

I don't experience this in any other games.  This lag on the main screen is also very new, only since the last feature update has the main screen lagged.  It looks to me as if it's not using the gpu at all while rendering as the gpu reports no activity while the game running.

Share this comment

Nothing changed in the last update that should be causing this, which makes me wonder if it's just a coincidence this started happening in this update. Have you tried quitting/uninstalling the Radeon Overlay? I know other software such as MSI Afterburner and RiviaTuner have caused issues with ONI in the past.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

I have not it's built into the amd graphics software, to do that I'd have to uninstall the whole thing.  I also don't normally have the overlay on just been poking at the game to see what was up.  As for the update I had played a bit the day before and it was night and day on performance.

Share this comment

Hi..

You can turn off Overlay on AMD.

Go to the cock-wheel (Settings) --> Preferences --> In-Game Overlay and disable it ;)

Edited by Zephon37
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

8 hours ago, Zephon37 said:

Hi..

You can turn off Overlay on AMD.

Go to the cock-wheel (Settings) --> Preferences --> In-Game Overlay and disable it ;)

Thanks, I tried that and it didn't make any difference.  Still single digit fps.

Share this comment

Let's see if we can rule out the game's configurations. Try removing Documents/Klei/OxygenNotIncluded (make a backup) to see if it's save/settings related. Try disabling all mods.

Did you recently install any Windows updates or updated your drivers?

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Windows updates when it updates so I don't know.  I had just recently updated my amd driver.  I've already uninstalled all mods.  Will try to delete the settings.

Didn't seem to change anything, still sub 2 fps on the main screen.

Share this comment

My apologies, it turns out we did have some performance issues on the main menu. The issues were introduced last November so I'm not entirely sure this will fix your issue. Please give today's update to public_testing and let me know if anything has changed.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

I apologize for the absence in feedback.  I've been messing around with it on and off and while I can't figure out what causes it I can seem to work around it and even create it to some degree.  Here is what I've found.  This is with the current dlc release.

If I start the game and it is lagging I can immediately close the game down and restart my computer, it has to be restart.  Then I can launch the game from that restart with no lag, game runs a full speed.  Now if during running a game if I reload from inside a running performance declines, this will degrade the more you reload from inside running a game.  While it's still mostly playable while in a running game, it is noticeable.  Also if you return to the main menu it will have a drastic performance hit similar to starting up the game from a shutdown.  Note a computer shutdown will trigger a performance hit the next time I launch the game, only way to fix it is a restart.

Share this comment

In game performance is something we are actively working on and the main menu performance issues should be fixed. This sounds like more an issue with your system configuration. Try disabling Game Mode and adjusting the power settings to High Performance. I also recommend uninstalling the AMD software and see if that helps. 

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

1 hour ago, EricKlei said:

In game performance is something we are actively working on and the main menu performance issues should be fixed. This sounds like more an issue with your system configuration. Try disabling Game Mode and adjusting the power settings to High Performance. I also recommend uninstalling the AMD software and see if that helps. 

there is still main menu problem BUT only for those who own the base game not the DLC. other than that yes main menu works just fine now

Edited by gabberworld

Share this comment