[TU-211867] Buoyancy-driven gas diffusion has strong tendency to sort lighter gases towards left

Kasuha
  • Branch: Live Branch Pending

There's only one hydrogen source in my base, an electrolyzer in the red circle. The hydrogen had plenty of time to settle down as the production went on for over 40 cycles, yet the boundary between hydrogen and oxygen is nowhere near horizontal. I assume it is because random swapping between cells has greater chance to swap light gases left, probably due to order of evaluation. Or possibly because preceding tiles in the grid are considered "above" even if they're on the same level.

4Pv2TW7.jpg

Steps to Reproduce
Build a large area containing hydrogen and other gas mixed up, watch the boundary between hydrogen and the other gas as they settle down. Also works for oxygen-carbon dioxide boundary.

User Feedback

Honestly, that looks pretty normal to me. The electrolyzer is not smack dab in the middle of the room, so the flow is stronger on one side to begin with. Also, you have less way for the gas to expand to the left than to the right, so gas will push where it has more room to do so. I'm guessing that, if you were to dig out the area to the left, and build an electrolyzer in the middle of the room, the gases would even out.

Share this comment