Thermo sensor incorrect signals

Lali-Lop
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

I have three liquid pipe thermo sensors here: top one set to activate below 20C, middle one set to activate below 0C, and bottom one set to activate below -20C.

For some reason, the top and bottom sensors are active even though there is no liquid currently in those pipes.  The top sensor will send a false signal when hot water passes through but will then activate again when the pipe empties.

The bottom sensor also does not send a false signal when switched to above -20C.

Screenshots below.

20180927164705_1.thumb.jpg.4131c79f84614496096db8234d5c282e.jpg20180927164707_1.thumb.jpg.eefb5e9d943845fdb25f4f7854c7679e.jpg20180927164709_1.thumb.jpg.ab8199e5fa95db19542eb2a50ec6999e.jpg20180927170436_1.thumb.jpg.4a5b36a07bd5665f39435ff5d2010770.jpg

Deconstructing the NOT gate somehow fixed the bottom sensor's output!  That may have been preventing the sensor from changing its signal.

20180927170929_1.thumb.jpg.cd3324c3b0ae1665e65eae879f0c2458.jpg

Steps to Reproduce
Build empty pipe systems with thermo sensors.

User Feedback

The behavior was changed after they were introduced: The temperature sensors will only change between active/inactive if there is a liquid inside of the pipe. If no liquid is inside, it won't change the output signal.

So the "-273.2 °C" is just shown inside the UI but won't affect the output of the sensor anymore.

Share this comment

5 hours ago, Azunai333 said:

The behavior was changed after they were introduced: The temperature sensors will only change between active/inactive if there is a liquid inside of the pipe. If no liquid is inside, it won't change the output signal.

So the "-273.2 °C" is just shown inside the UI but won't affect the output of the sensor anymore.

I could understand if it retained the last output, but then why does the signal change from inactive to active once the wrong temp liquid passes?  Shouldn't it stay inactive then?  All of my sensors are staying active now because the liquid flow is not constant, and it's messing up my automated systems... :(

Share this comment

I just rebuild your setup.

1. Your right, your NOT-gate blocked the signal to being active. In your screenshot the gate wasn't connected to anything so it sends always active at its output. When you have multiple sensors on one line and one sensor is active the other sensors won't matter (if they are active/inactive).

2. You have a backflow in your setup which slows it down by 50%. Build a bridge between these two points to double the flow:

image.thumb.png.c4f2fb6fb66f0ed45e8494e762cace7e.png

3.1 I don't understand what you are doing with the bottom sensor. Water at -20 °C will freeze and destroy the pipe. So there can't be any water at this point.

3.2 If your system runs dry you won't be able to activate the aquatuner with the bottom sensor anymore. This would happen if the last water at the middle sensor is lower than 0 °C and then at the bottom one higher than -20 °C.

3.3 Maybe you wanted your bottom sensor to be above -20 °C, so your aquatuner won't cool it any further?

Share this comment

6 hours ago, Azunai333 said:

I just rebuild your setup.

1. Your right, your NOT-gate blocked the signal to being active. In your screenshot the gate wasn't connected to anything so it sends always active at its output. When you have multiple sensors on one line and one sensor is active the other sensors won't matter (if they are active/inactive).

2. You have a backflow in your setup which slows it down by 50%. Build a bridge between these two points to double the flow:

image.thumb.png.c4f2fb6fb66f0ed45e8494e762cace7e.png

3.1 I don't understand what you are doing with the bottom sensor. Water at -20 °C will freeze and destroy the pipe. So there can't be any water at this point.

3.2 If your system runs dry you won't be able to activate the aquatuner with the bottom sensor anymore. This would happen if the last water at the middle sensor is lower than 0 °C and then at the bottom one higher than -20 °C.

3.3 Maybe you wanted your bottom sensor to be above -20 °C, so your aquatuner won't cool it any further?

2. Yep, already noticed and fixed.

3.1. It was just a placeholder while I built the system.  (Although water below freezing point isn't breaking the pipes for some reason.)

3.2. Yes, that was my main concern.  I figured I could use a sensor to detect when the cold pipe line fills (which would be anything except -273.2C) and deactivate the aquatuner to prevent it looping continuously.  Obviously, that plan won't work now....

3.3 See above.  That sensor is independent of the cooling loop.

Share this comment