The freezing point of water is 0°C

Yobbo
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Linux Pending

So this has been bugging me for a while now, and i'm really not sure why it would ever be wrong.

The freezing point of water in-game is -0.65°C (272.5K). The boiling point of water is 372.5K (99.35°C).

These are wrong.

Very wrong.

The freezing point and boiling point of water being 0°C and 100°C at standard atmospheric pressure are the very definitions of 0°C and 100°C.

I could understand the boiling point maybe being different, as that changes significantly with decreasing pressure. But the freezing point... does not.

Please fix this most horrible of bugs.

The freezing point of water is 273.15K. The boiling point, to align with common Earth-knowledge, should be 373.15K.

Steps to Reproduce

Enter game. Click on water. Click on properties. Look at freezing point and boiling point. Be confused.

I actually came across this trying to build a natural sleet wheat farm by freezing ice. It required significantly more freezing than expected.

User Feedback

From the wiki: "Liquids evaporate at 3 degrees above the specified vaporization point, and freeze at 3 degrees below the specified freezing point." So water needs to be at least -3.1 degrees to frees and at least 103.1 to transform to steam. I belief this has been done to prevent liquids from keeping transforming from liquid to solid continuous, si i do think this is a design choise for the game and not a bug.

Edited by Upload

Share this comment

2 hours ago, Upload said:

From the wiki: "Liquids evaporate at 3 degrees above the specified vaporization point, and freeze at 3 degrees below the specified freezing point." So water needs to be at least -3.1 degrees to frees and at least 103.1 to transform to steam. I belief this has been done to prevent liquids from keeping transforming from liquid to solid continuous, si i do think this is a design choise for the game and not a bug.

This is what i expected, and is in fact incorrect. Liquid water needs to be -3.7°C to freeze, because the freezing point of water is -0.65°C. Similarly for the boiling point. All thresholds are 0.65°C lower than they should be.

Share this comment