Steam Rocket Exhaust Froze Water

herczeg
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

on launching a steam rocket, ice formed in the path of the exchaust

20220301233546_1.thumb.jpg.cb758161e5f601b3467f7dfe0609e059.jpg

Steps to Reproduce

not sure how to reproduce. I have been launching steam rockets from that platform for about 500 cycles, first time noticing this.

• Haha 1

User Feedback

That's very similar as the bug affecting Metal Volcanoes near the right edge of a planetoid:

My guess is that the reproduction is: "build a rocket near the right edge of a non-starter planetoid".

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

34 minutes ago, Fradow said:

My guess is that the reproduction is: "build a rocket near the right edge of a non-starter planetoid".

I like the idea in the other thread that it is somehow vacuum related. All the heat seem to be disappearing, at least I'm pretty sure my ice was initially 0 Kelvin, I just wasn't fast enough to notice, and I would bet that in the case of volcanos the ice starts out at 0K as well

Edited by herczeg

Share this comment

I've also had a freezing bug in an infinite gas storage, again near the right side of a non-starter asteroid.

freezy.thumb.jpg.3f23de9d75d4d21b0efac9bfafb7336d.jpg

As gas was pumped into the gas storage, the massive (1t+) natural gas tiles would cool down by several degrees over a very short period of time until they got down to around -60 C, resulting in the crude oil covering the vents freezing, then I thawed it out (by building tiles) and it would freeze again a bit later. The cold was definitely emanating from the infinite gas storage itself, and not the natural gas vent, and it seemed to require that gas be actively being pumped into the storage, hence once the crude froze the mysterious cooling with cease. However and unfortunately for reproduction, gas being pumped in while a required condition was not a sufficient condition by itself: most the time the massive gas tiles would be exchanging heat in accordance with natural heat conduction, just occasionally they would cool down dramatically. It might be that something going on somewhere else in the world enables the spontaneous heat loss.

In my case there was no 0 K, if there's some kind of "spooky action at a distance" going on, perhaps 0 K involves a heat exchange with vacuum while other forms of cooling involve a heat exchange with cold tiles like at the bottom of frozen core maps. Alternatively perhaps small pockets of spontaneous vacuum that can form when gases condense into liquid are responsible for 0 K. But in my case of an infinite gas storage there is certainly no transient vacuum involved simply liquids and gas jostling for position and there is nothing in the vicinity the game could think is colder.

Edited by blakemw

Share this comment

well, the same way that water is displaced by steam when it quickly - and potentially partially - flashes to steam (I'm assuming this is what happens with my rocket and the metal volcano tamers) the liquid in an infinite storage is also displaced by gas. or maybe the other way around. my guess is that this whole thing has to do with heat data being lost during that displacement.

Share this comment

I think it has something to do with vacuum. All these displacements create a vacuum before the liquid is displaced and the gas is teleported to another tile. This can be observed in the liquid-gas bypass build (in the same zone the freezing volcano bug is happening) where the liquid never gets displaced, a vacuum never happens so the gas never moves diagonally (mentioned in this bug report). I didn't succeed in making the bug happen in a new save file though. 

I'm not sure if a similar vertical "zone" exists in your save file @herczeg

Share this comment

@sakura_sk not sure, but if you would like me to check something, I can. I have the auto saves from before and after the incident backed up.

also, quick follow up on the situation, I present you: ice-cold steam.

20220303010632_1.thumb.jpg.9c1ba6e2ba89f905287a5443f7900c75.jpg

20220303010659_1.thumb.jpg.9d9bdf12bd5ca63eaaf19f5ed836e32d.jpg

Share this comment