Steam Cloud save synchronization configured incorrectly

Cirne
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: OSX Closed

Support for Steam Cloud savefile synchronization appears to be incorrectly configured, and so it isn't working properly. When executing app_info_print 457140 from the Steam developer console, it shows the following configuration:

"ufs"
	{
		"quota"		"524288000"
		"maxnumfiles"		"100"
		"hidecloudui"		"1"
		"ignoreexternalfiles"		"1"
		"savefiles"
		{
			"0"
			{
				"root"		"WinMyDocuments"
				"path"		"Klei/OxygenNotIncluded/cloud_save_files"
				"pattern"		"*.sav"
			}
		}
		"rootoverrides"
		{
			"0"
			{
				"root"		"WinAppDataLocalLow"
				"os"		"MacOS"
				"oscompare"		"="
				"useinstead"		"MacAppSupport"
				"pathtransforms"
				{
					"0"
					{
						"find"		""
						"replace"		"unity.Klei.Oxygen Not Included/cloud_save_files"
					}
				}
			}
			"1"
			{
				"root"		"WinAppDataLocalLow"
				"os"		"Linux"
				"oscompare"		"="
				"useinstead"		"LinuxHome"
				"pathtransforms"
				{
					"0"
					{
						"find"		""
						"replace"		".config/unity3d/Klei/Oxygen Not Included/cloud_save_files"
					}
				}
			}
		}
	}

First off, the cloud_save_files directory doesn't exist, only the save_files directory, but more importantly, the rootoverrides setting is misconfigured. Both the Linux and the MacOS configurations specify the WinAppDataLocalLow root directory, but that isn't the one used on Windows. Instead, the overrides should specify WinMyDocuments, as is specified in the base configuration. Can this get fixed? Thanks!

Steps to Reproduce
1. From the Steam developer console on a MacOS machine, run: > testappcloudpaths 457140 > set_spew_level 4 4 2. Launch ONI from Steam. 3. Quit ONI. 4. At the developer console, observe that it's attempting to access the WinMyDocuments folder, which doesn't exist on MacOS: [2020-02-25 11:19:24] [AppID 457140] Running AutoCloud on exit. Looking for new and updated files [2020-02-25 11:19:24] [AppID 457140] Evaluating rule 0 with root="WinMyDocuments" path="Klei/OxygenNotIncluded/cloud_save_files" pattern="*.sav" [2020-02-25 11:19:24] [AppID 457140] Found 0 files that match /*.sav [2020-02-25 11:19:24] [AppID 457140] AutoCloud complete

User Feedback

5 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

As far as i know, cloud saves are not yet live with this game. So its not proper configured, because its not there...

If it were a matter of the Steam Cloud configuration not existing at all, I wouldn't have even brought it up - or rather, if I had, it would have been in the context of a feature request. But the configuration does exist, which means someone somewhere at Klei put some work into it; but it's misconfigured, which prevents it from working (and may be the reason the feature was never released to live). If the reason ONI has no Steam Cloud support is because no one ever got around to diagnosing and fixing the configuration, then hopefully my input can point someone in the right direction!

In point of fact, Steam Cloud synchronization is a feature that could be delivered without even creating another build of the game. No ONI code needs to be changed; the only steps that would need to be taken would be:

1. On the Steamworks site in the ONI Steam app configuration, fix the rootoverrides configuration so that Mac and Linux support are referencing the proper root
  2. Change the configuration reference to the nonexisting cloud_save_files directory to the save_files directory
  3. Remove the hidecloudui = 1 configuration option once cloud saves have been tested.

It really is that simple - look at https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/cloud#example to see an example of the kind of configuration I'm talking about.

Share this comment

Can I get some sort of reaction from the devs on this? Even if it's just "we're not going to look into this right now" so I know to do something to work around.

Share this comment

Changed Status to Closed

Thanks for the report! The settings at the time were not reflective of any final configuration or status.
Cloud Saves are now in testing on the preview branch, including the new UI and user workflow.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment