Spaced Out: Game Crash NullReferenceException when deconstructing 1 specific item

shelsauce
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Fixed

Description:

Game always crashes when deconstructing a very specific unique building: one particular spacefarer module (copper ore).  Have never encountered this issue before on any other rockets, spacefarer modules, planets, or even very similar rockets.

Notes:

• Issue is also reproducible when the spacefarer module exists on a rocket platforrm with a basic nosecone, or by itself
  • Issue is also reproducible using sandbox destroy, deconstruct, or changing space module
  • Issue is not reproducible on other space modules of similar type
  • Entire contents of spacefarer module was removed manually and using sandbox, and the issue is still reproducible
  • Issue is still reproducible when deconstruction happens off the screen (is not focus on screen)
  • Issue is still reproducible when adding or removing more modules before deconstructing spacefarer module.
  • Issue still reproducible when adding/changing crew
  • Issue still reproducible when adding/removing rocket control module
  • Issue still reproducible when launching the rocket in space and landing rocket again.
  • Still reproducible after uninstalling and re-installing game
  • Never used sandbox mode (prior to trying to troubleshoot this issue)

Additional Game information:

• Cycle 1000
  • Happens on Planet Mooni (natural gas/moo planet)
  • PC + Steam
  • Cloud saves
  • Submitting crash log with client feature

Repro rate: 10/10

Pre-reqs (of this specific spacefarer module)

1. Rocket was created on 2nd planetoid (Mudalin)
  2. Rocket housed 2 duplicates with full rocket interior design including atmo suits, 20kg oxygen per tile, bedroom, food, and supplies
  3. Rocket travelled to natural gas/moo planet
  4. Rocket was unloaded

STR:

1. Destroy a very specific cabin either with deconstruct tool, sandbox mode tool "destroy", or by changing the space module (which auto deconstructs)
2. Observe

Expected Results:

• Cabin should deconstruct as normal and drop materials as debris.

Actual Results:

• Game crashes right when deconstruction completes and debris begins dropping to the ground

Attachments:

• Attached error logs
  • dxdialog info
  • screenshot,
  • Did not attach Save file is too large (18MB)

Error logs:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

FetchListStatusItemUpdater.Render200ms (System.Single dt) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/scripts/game/FetchListStatusItemUpdater.cs:125)
SimAndRenderScheduler+Render200ms.Update (IRender200ms updater, System.Single dt) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/SimAndRenderScheduler.cs:202)
UpdateBucketWithUpdater`1[DataType].Update (System.Single dt) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/StateMachineUpdater.cs:79)
StateMachineUpdater+BucketGroup.AdvanceOneSubTick (System.Single dt) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/StateMachineUpdater.cs:152)
StateMachineUpdater+BucketGroup.InternalAdvance (System.Single dt) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/StateMachineUpdater.cs:135)
StateMachineUpdater+BucketGroup.Advance (System.Single dt) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/StateMachineUpdater.cs:162)
StateMachineUpdater.Render (System.Single dt) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/StateMachineUpdater.cs:254)
Game.LateUpdate () (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/scripts/game/Game.cs:1602)

Steps to Reproduce

ss.thumb.png.810a588a82b4a2d6152993fea94aff3a.png

DxDiag.txt

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

Thanks for the very detailed bug report. I'm in the process of fixing it, the issue is when a rocket is deconstructed it doesn't properly cancel buildings on the edge of the rocket interior. See this post for an example. Could you let me know if this is the case for your save or upload it to an external website (Google Drive, Dropbox etc.) and link it here? 

Share this comment

LOL THAT SOLVED IT.  After doing so much troubleshooting. 

Thanks alot!

I did a blanket cancel and I don't think I had any construction queues outside the rocket interior (could re-examine more closely if I reload the save), but I do know I had some debris that existed OUTSIDE the rocket (with sweep commands).  The debris was from deconstructing a pipe that was along the edges of the rocket wall and debris formed on the north side of the exterior wall.  Make sure to get QA to verify its no longer reproducible for debris as well.

As you can see there are no construction queues. This is my use case here:

image.thumb.png.cd08e5e9880465248f109cc605c31fd2.pngI h

Share this comment

Changed Status to Fixed

I tested a number of cases, this should be fixed in the next update to the public_testing branch.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment