Residue Graphic remaining (buried sand art)

RonEmpire
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Windows Pending

See below.  Sand falling and dug up leaves that crack graphic behind.

v.jpg

Steps to Reproduce
get sand to fall and cover up stuff. buried objects from falling sand. dig up the sand. see residue graphic above

User Feedback

It's an old bug and it has been reported several times. I noticed it too ages ago and it's still not fixed. However based on what have seen, saving and loading fixes the problem meaning nobody can provide a savegame where it went wrong. Also nobody have figured out a way to reproduce this consistently. Based on the bug reports, it apparently happens completely at random. That would make it a very elusive bug to investigate.

I saw being made once, but no recording and I didn't pay as much attention as I wish I had because I didn't expect it to happen. I think it was something like digging out a cell, let sand fall and at the moment it lands, another dupe digs out the cell below, which makes the sand fall again. I'm far from sure, but I think that's what happened.

Writing this made me come up with a theory. What if the buried art doesn't appear instantly? What if it is marked to be added later, like next tick. Then later the same tick if the sand starts to fall, it will remove the art, but it checks for art present and there is none. The order to add it haven't been executed yet. After the sand left, there is no "sand leaving event", which tells the art to go away. If the buried art is drawn using the same Unity display mechanic as pipe ports, then it will indeed stay until explicitly being told to be removed. The problem with this theory is I have no idea how to test it. Digging out tiles in the right order during the same tick seems like something you can't do on purpose. It just happens once in a while if you try enough times.

I'm not too concerned with the graphical glitch though. If it is purely graphical and it vanishes on reload, then I can live with it. What I'm most worried about is if the buried object stays behind and never drops, like you have 2000 kg steel buried in a sand by accident and digging it out leave it in mid air only to vanish on reload. I don't think the buried items will vanish, but I'm not sure.

Share this comment