Radiant pipe doesn't work

orost
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Windows Fixed

I created a test setup comparing heat exchange of regular pipe with radiant pipe - identical tanks of hot water, made of abyssalite, with the same length of pipe running through them, one normal tungsten pipe the other radiant tungsten pipe. I pumped cold water through them and there appears to be no difference at all in heat exchange - in both the water gets only 0.7C hotter after running through the tank. Radiant pipe either doesn't work at all or the boost to heat exchange is so weak it's immeasurable. I re-tried this several times looking for errors in my setups but never got a difference in temperature larger than 0.1C (with temperature change being as high as 1.5C)

Steps to Reproduce
1. Create two heat-exchange setups, identical except for radiant pipe in one and regular pipe in the other 2. Observe the lack of promised "significant" increase in thermal exchange
  • Thanks 1

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

Here is a save with a setup containing 4 heat exchangers:

1. Cold water through hot water with regular tungsten pipe

2. Cold water through hot water with radiant tungsten pipe

3. Hot water through cold water with regular tungsten pipe

4. Hot water through cold water with radiant tungsten pipe

Inspecting the temperature of the water leaving the exchangers shows that there is no appreciable difference in performance between 1 and 2 and between 3 and 4.

radiant_pipe_test.sav

Share this comment