Power Transformers generates heat indefinitely

amorek
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Power Transformers indefinitely generate 1k DTU of heat as long as it has power stored even if it's not connected to any input or output and also when PT is disabled.

Steps to Reproduce
  1. Build Power Transformer (PT)
  2. Connect PT to power input and single wire on output
  3. Remove input wire connection
  4. Disable PT

PT will still output heat while not using any energy.

• Like 1

User Feedback

yeah we know that. i even build a steam turbine room full off them . unfortunately 1k DTU is soo small number that does it even matter?

Share this comment

I was under the impression that they lose their charge but also don't emit any heat anymore when you disable them. This is not the case? Them producing heat with no power (except for initial charge) consumed is already weird (and should be changed IMO) but that not even disabling works is probably just a bug.

Share this comment

3 hours ago, AyCe said:

I was under the impression that they lose their charge but also don't emit any heat anymore when you disable them. This is not the case? Them producing heat with no power (except for initial charge) consumed is already weird (and should be changed IMO) but that not even disabling works is probably just a bug.

of course its a bug, you tell that a user who worked as electric before , that is no way possible in real life, because they to have in both direction the Resistor, they to consume also little energy by self as well, that some reason devs not added at all for them

also by default if you cut power for them its total power loss for them as well not the slow power loss like it does atm in game

only what holds and keeps the power is the Capacitor but that is total different story

also in real life be careful when you cut power as Capacitor holds power they to reflect the power back to transformers.

but transformers self not hold any voltage

Edited by gabberworld

Share this comment

if talk about that bug. i to even know where its located

it's inside the UpdateJoulesLostPerSecond()

if (this.operational.IsOperational)
        {
            this.battery.joulesLostPerSecond = 0f;
            return;
        }

that one causing this. that allows run forever when you cut power off

that really should be like at-least 1f

and for bigger transformer it should be at-least 4f

Edited by gabberworld

Share this comment

4 hours ago, gabberworld said:

if talk about that bug. i to even know where its located

it's inside the UpdateJoulesLostPerSecond()

if (this.operational.IsOperational)
        {
            this.battery.joulesLostPerSecond = 0f;
            return;
        }

that one causing this. that allows run forever when you cut power off

that really should be like at-least 1f

and for bigger transformer it should be at-least 4f

Which would make it so that they constantly consume power, right? Probably logical, considering they produce heat, but not in line with the philosophy that transformers shouldn't leak power.

Share this comment

56 minutes ago, AyCe said:

Which would make it so that they constantly consume power, right? Probably logical, considering they produce heat, but not in line with the philosophy that transformers shouldn't leak power.

as + and - connected together they to-do both heating and consuming, same goes for example home fast water maker what you may use regularly , it is similar for transformer as well.  transformer self have both sides and between them is magnetic field what transfer  sine to other side, that makes them as cable connection free, that allows you safely add that to the higher power line or lower power line

imagine a water maker at home what not use energy at all. free energy

those numbers may not be correct tho what i typed . they can be like 0.1f and 0.4f, those depends off other factors as well. but they never be 0

Edited by gabberworld

Share this comment

It is very hard to understand what you mean in your posts. No need to explain how a water heater or transformer works in real life. Yes I know heat without consuming power violates physics, but so does a lot of other stuff in the game.

Your code makes it so they constantly leak power, presumably because they waste heat. Maybe that's what they should do - would incentivize automation setups to deactivate transformers that are not needed right now even more (than just for the heat).

Share this comment

4 hours ago, AyCe said:

It is very hard to understand what you mean in your posts. No need to explain how a water heater or transformer works in real life. Yes I know heat without consuming power violates physics, but so does a lot of other stuff in the game.

Your code makes it so they constantly leak power, presumably because they waste heat. Maybe that's what they should do - would incentivize automation setups to deactivate transformers that are not needed right now even more (than just for the heat).

what you mean my code, its the game code, currently  game have infinity heat leak without using power,

in reality it does consume power as well when it makes heat. 

and that 0f is causing that.

your leaking talk is confusing as well. because only what they really leak is heat. other is more like consuming.

--

they not consume that much power tho at idle state otherwise we would at home have huge electric bills. devises like music deck, or televisors they to all consume power as well  when you shut them off by button. or even my freaking laptop what uses 4w at shutoff state.

i not care if they not fix this tho. is not much heat tho because build room like steam turbine. you need allot off them.

--

also i think i to remember why they made consume as 0w because some people started talk that they power cords started damage.

but really it was because they to used wrong cable.

this possible fix if they make wires little higher, like instead off 1kw wire they make them as 1.1Kw wire

Edited by gabberworld

Share this comment