Power Distribution Problems

Dark_Akarin
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Hi, electrical engineering and gamer here :)

I'm loving ONI so far and have managed to get my head around most of the games mechanics (after loosing my first 3 bases to not knowing how things interacted).

However I find there is a major problem with the way the circuits operate, they don't feel remotely real. I expected it to work similar to most other wiring games where you start of will low power cable for small devices then make them bigger as you go along. I've attached a screenshot of something that makes no sense.

If you look at it you will see a lighting circuit in red circle. Each light consumes very little power yet the piece of wire in the green circle is about to break, why? (the same already happened in the blue circle.)

The cables are rated to 1000W and there is only 10W being drawn at this point. If the circuit failed earlier in the circuit, that would be understandable as other devices were using the circuit, but the damage just appears all over the place seeming at random. 

Additionally, please for the love of god overhaul how transformers work, they don't store any energy, they just change voltages. As there are no 'other voltages' I would just replace it with a fuse that shuts off if overpowered.

ONI_Wires.png

Steps to Reproduce
Make any circuit and watch as everything starts to pop.

User Feedback

1. its a game, not a real wiring setup.

2. DONT MIX the damn things. (something you should know from real wiring too)

3. its supposed to break if you connect different wires without the prober transformer.

Share this comment

If you are an electrical engineer, you should know that there needs to be a Transformer when you change from a High voltage power line to a Low voltage power line. Thats the reason why the low power wires are breaking at random points. Its as real as it gets.

Share this comment

9 hours ago, Rogue Witch said:

there needs to be a Transformer when you change from a High voltage power line to a Low voltage power line

Correct, however all the there is no such thing as voltage in the game, just power consumption and power ratings, thus a real transformer would not be needed. 

Your second statement is sort of my disagreement however, as you continue along a circuit IRL the power consumption drops, thus a cable with a 1000W rating that is only using 10W at the end of it, should not break. I would expect cable to break closer to the source, such as when you have a large load on the cable above its 1000W rating.

On 12/31/2018 at 3:46 PM, SharraShimada said:

1. its a game, not a real wiring setup.

2. DONT MIX the damn things. (something you should know from real wiring too)

3. its supposed to break if you connect different wires without the prober transformer.

1. Sure... where are you going with this?

2. Personal preference, I cant see why you can't base a game on real things, it's more intuitive. (also damn near all games are based on 'real life physics', like gravity).

3. That's kinda what I'm disputing. Are you here to just troll, or would you like to discuss it?

Share this comment

Your dupes carry around containers with 5 Tons of liquid. So much for real circumstances...

Yes, i do unterstand your problem, as i am an electrical engineer of some sort myself. But i can work with the system, as it is, just fine. Its just a matter of perspective.

Share this comment

In the image you shared, in the mouse hover info over the 1KW wire, you can see that the power demand on the circuit is 1128.86 W whereas the max capacity for the wire is 1000 W, leading to overloading and breaking. Voltage is represented by power capacity of wires in the game and the Power Transformers work great in that regard. 

Also, upon overloading a wire will break where the integrity of the wire is weakest and not necessarily near the source or the consumer. Thats why IRL, wires often break/burn at unpredictable places. The game does a good job by making this random.

Share this comment