Only Temperate Biome on newly started game (Linux)

SnakeBDD
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Steam Pending

Hi there,

first of all, thank you for providing a Linux version, I bought the game after you released the Linux version and since the tabular update, I'm actually able to start a new game on it. ;)

Unfortunately, the Temperate (Spawning) Biome seems to be the only Biome being created, meaning all of the map I have explored so far is made up of this Biome. Also, there is hardly any water.

This is the case with all the new games I started on Linux. The games on my Windows machine behave normally. I'm running build TB-247173 both on Xubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10.

Steps to Reproduce
1. Start Linux version 2. Create a new game
  • Thanks 1

User Feedback

Generated a world with the windows version (wine) and tried loading it with the Linux version: Everything looks fine (so far).

Generated same seed world with Linux version: Whole world is the start biome, tons of copper and dirt and shinebugs everywhere. The "horizontal stretch mark" patterns on top and bottom (where magma etc should be) are still visible but filled with copper and dirt also. Only 2 bubbles of water on whole map, far away from starting point.

Same seed world generated with Linux, but this time with LC_ALL=C: The biomes look fine. But there isn't a single monster on the whole map and the geysers are missing. Compared the maps with windows generated sibling: The whole "air bubble" of the geyser area is missing, instead solid ground.

Edited by e9lhtue

Share this comment

This is related to the locale-settings of the system.

For example using german-locale mess up the parsing of floatingpoint numbers from textfiles, since the meaning of point and comma is different.

There is a simple workaround for that within steam:

• righklick "Oxygen Not Included" -> Properties
  • Set Launch Options to "LC_ALL=C %command%" (without quotes)
  • start a new game

Edit: Sorry, didn't see that this solution was already posted.

Edited by roidal

Share this comment

10 minutes ago, roidal said:

This is related to the locale-settings of the system.

For example using german-locale mess up the parsing of floatingpoint numbers from textfiles, since the meaning of point and comma is different.

There is a simple workaround for that within steam:

• righklick "Oxygen Not Included" -> Properties
  • Set Launch Options to "LC_ALL=C %command%" (without quotes)
  • start a new game

Edit: Sorry, didn't see that this solution was already posted.

Usually people who were affected by that couldn't start the game, which was why I didn't posted that solution here. If that works for the people affected then thats weird but good to know.

Share this comment