Not a bug but a request for more optimization

Hekateras
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

I first played ONI exactly two years ago, had no issues. Playing it again now on the same PC and I'm having severe graphical performance issues, especially around cycle transitions. I don't see any optimization options in the settings aside from 'low resolution textures' (which I've enabled). Could more optimization options be added? I'd gladly sacrifice some of the visual polish and shine if my little old laptop can keep running the game (let's face it, the core gameplay could have been made with 1990s graphics and would still be compelling).

Ideas for optimization:

- Liquids (those swirly visual effects, but also the "semirealistic" fluid behaviour - keep the behaviour, just cut down on the rendering for it)

- Particle and glow effects (e.g. Shine Bug, especially Tame Shine Bug glitter FX, Sparkle Streaking dupes, etc.)

- The swirly and glittery animations for various gases

Steps to Reproduce

- Playing the game normally, cycle 150 or so

- Happens at random times but especially during cycle transitions (when Cycle Summary is prepared)

• Thanks 1

User Feedback

I have the same issue, according to Task Manager no hardware limits are hit, but still the game runs at 20-30 fps dropping even lower 20 fps occasionally during the cycle. Scrolling lags even at 30 fps.
Thanks for posting this.

Share this comment

On 1/19/2022 at 10:39 AM, staring_frog said:

I have the same issue, according to Task Manager no hardware limits are hit, but still the game runs at 20-30 fps dropping even lower 20 fps occasionally during the cycle. Scrolling lags even at 30 fps.
Thanks for posting this.

One thing you could try, which I did, is allocate more virtual memory to act effectively as backup RAM (uses hard drive space). I've had slightly better performance since then (no bluescreens involving graphical memory errors, at least), but still a bit janky. My laptop is nearly 8 years old so I'm not expecting miracles, so I mainly brought it up because there are very obvious (to my unpractised eye) optimisation options available that aren't being taken advantage of.

Share this comment