Manual Generator thinks its batteries are full, but they are not.

Keapora
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

I have a 3-part Hydrogen Generator system: part 1 is hydrolyzers and their air pumps; part 2 is a trio of Hydrogen Generators, all hooked up via heavi-watt wire; part 3 is a series of transformers and batteries. To get the operation started, I had to place a manual generator along the wire string of its hydrogen brothers to pump hydrogen into them. I had a lapse of energy, the batteries are all drained and I need to start the generators again. All I should need is a duplicant to hop on the manual generator once more to get the hydrogen flowing. But, even at priority 9 with any threshold below 100%, no duplicant will jump onto the manual generator... because the generator thinks its batteries are sufficiently full. Again, the batteries and their transformers are entirely empty. Nothing on the circuit can function. And the battery's threshold for sufficiency should be anything less than 100%. I think the manual generator is looking not at the batteries hidden behind the transformer, but rather at the generators it directly precedes on the heavi-watt wire line. 
8yvqJkv.png

This feels and looks like a bug to me, and I'm going to try to work around it, but if it's actually just my incompetence and not a bug, sorry for taking up your time! 

Bug Report.sav

Steps to Reproduce
hook up 1 manual generator followed by three hydrogen generators in a heavi-watt line, add a transformer, and add a battery behind the transformer. manual generator should consider "batteries sufficiently full." If the bug is not reproduced, add energy to the batteries and then let them drain before reattempting to utilize the manual generator.

User Feedback

there are no batteries hooked up to the line with the manual generator (those on the other side of a transformer don't count)

Share this comment

Transformers function as a one-way power flow building. Hooking up batteries on one side of the transformer, with the kick-start generator on the other, the generator cannot detect any batteries to fill on its own circuit.

A solution would be to place the manual generator on the same side as the batteries, or place a single battery next to the generator.

The only oddity I see is that when there are ANY power consumers directly connected to the circuit with a manual generator, duplicants will hop onto it to power the consumer, even if there is no battery at all. Possible bug there, but it's hard to tell from your cropped screenshot.

Share this comment

I notice you also have 2 heavy watt plates overlapping below the hydrogen generator on the left, I avoid doing this as it can get buggy and not connect.  Best to avoid overlapping heavy watt plates

Share this comment

2 hours ago, Neotuck said:

I notice you also have 2 heavy watt plates overlapping below the hydrogen generator on the left, I avoid doing this as it can get buggy and not connect.  Best to avoid overlapping heavy watt plates

That did get buggy at first, and I had to recreate one of them, but afterwards they work just fine. 

3 hours ago, crypticorb said:

Transformers function as a one-way power flow building. Hooking up batteries on one side of the transformer, with the kick-start generator on the other, the generator cannot detect any batteries to fill on its own circuit.

A solution would be to place the manual generator on the same side as the batteries, or place a single battery next to the generator.

The only oddity I see is that when there are ANY power consumers directly connected to the circuit with a manual generator, duplicants will hop onto it to power the consumer, even if there is no battery at all. Possible bug there, but it's hard to tell from your cropped screenshot.

The problem stands, though, that the manual generator thinks its batteries are full. If the transformer hides the other batteries, whether it counts as a battery itself or not, the manual generator:
1) thinks it has batteries;
2) thinks they are full.

Like I said, the manual generator is looking at something else and getting confused. 

Also, the save file is right there. Feel free to look at it yourself. 

Share this comment

3 minutes ago, Keapora said:

That did get buggy at first, and I had to recreate one of them, but afterwards they work just fine.

You sure? according to the picture there is no connection past the plate so the only thing your manual generator is connected to is the hydrogen generators (If they were connected they would show up as white on the overlay)

Share this comment

I loaded your save file and I was right, even after I added a small battery for the generator to charge power did not go past the stacked plates.  (As shown on the picture)

20180409114535_1.thumb.jpg.5b8d62e1a75bd3edac016d41d35f884d.jpg

I moved the plates in the second picture and it works fine

20180409115001_1.thumb.jpg.0a18bf5d14d8f852665bf8c513bfebcb.jpg

Even so this is a very poor system, you have all your pumps automated with a clock sensor with no way to store energy so you become reliant on the manual generator to start the system every time and that only gives 400 watts and all the pumps with electrolyzers need 2160 watts.  

Also looking at the mess of transformers and heavy watt wiring I think you need help understanding how these things work and how to utilize them efficiently.  As it is you have too much power being wasted and not enough power being generated. 

Edited by Neotuck

Share this comment

Ok, that's great, but entirely not the point. This isn't about how inefficient my design is. It's a bug report. What is the manual generator looking at if it can't see batteries? Why does it think the "battery" it's seeing is full? 

Share this comment

That's a tooltip error and the game is full of errors like that due to the constant patches and updates and the devs ignore bug reports on those because they plant to straiten those out on full release 

Here in this picture you can clearly see nothing attached yet it says "batteries sufficiently full"bdie.png.b19a731c66b699283e25c79b0b24f628.png

Share this comment

Got it, I guess I've never had it not hooked up directly to a consumer until this moment. What an interesting bug. Glad it's just a display bug, not something more mysterious. Thanks!

Share this comment