Load bug breaks my pipes

Gurgel
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

I have a cooling circuit that cools water by around 10C. This assumes 10kg/unit in the pipe. When loading the game, there is a brief time when power is unstable, and that leads to the pump inputting far smaller units of water that then freeze and cause really annoying breakage of pipes. I have run this situation for > 150 cycles and nothing bad ever happens to the pipes.

Unfortunately, something similar happens when disabling (on re-enable) the pump or cycling its power, so that is not a workaround. I have not yet tried full pump deconstruction/reconstPausing/unpausing does never cause this, except the unpause after a load.

Workaround: What does seem to help is placing a liquid valve at the end of the cooling circuit and set it to 9kg/s or so. This way the partial units of liquid get filled up and do not freeze anymore.

While I do not exactly know how the game engine works, here are some suggestions for a fix:

1) A more general fix that should remove this not readily obvious annoyance: Make sure the first unit a pump outputs on power resuming or enabling is always a full unit for that pump, at least when input material is available. Delay for a second if necessary. Have the pump already consume full power during that limited "stabilization" interval. If power stays unstable, so be it. It if is stable, do not pump a partial liquid (or gas) unit into the pipe. 

2) If you consider this a legitimate game mechanics for power cycles or disable/enable (can be argued), do 1) only for loading. 

Steps to Reproduce
Create cooling circuit that cools full 10kg water packets to above 0C, but partial water packets below that. Save+load, cycle power or disable/enable the pump.

User Feedback

I've experienced the same.

I wouldn't say that it is a bug when a pump on start outputs a small packet although there is more than enough liquid there,
but this is related to several other quirks of the piping system, like when branches unnecessarily slow the flow rate, which can be sometimes triggered by an odd (small) packet...

Edited by Master Miner

Share this comment

I do agree that this behavior can be seen as legitimate when starting a pump. And there it is relatively easy to see what is going on.

However, I think that loading a game doing the same is a bug. And it is certainly hard to find. 

Loading should either replicate the state on saving exactly, or it should contain additional safeguards to make sure everything comes up as closely as possible to the state it was in when saving. I can understand that the devs do not want to save the full state. That would probably slow down saving and loading extremely. But the price to pay for that is a bit of extra robustness on loading. Here this would mean that if a pipe was full on saving, it stays full on loading. 

A second use of this posting is explaining the issue and giving the workaround, so others do not have to debug this.

Share this comment