Large volumes of liquid beaten by tiny volume of gas

outseeker
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

This is just a small observation I've seen numerous times and I find it a little annoying. No big deal really, but I'm here for another bug so I will mention it :)

Sometimes I see water being pushed aside by a tiny amount of carbon dioxide. This really should never be possible I think. Like 1000KG of liquids to the left of the c02 tile, and there it sits 20g c02, refusing to be pushed upwards into the oxygen and replaced by the liquid directly adjacent to it.

Steps to Reproduce
Set up a pool of liquid with built walls, and a (2 tiles thick for testing convenience) floor extending along either side at the level of the liquid There should be an oxygen atmosphere in here for the dupes to breathe Deconstruct the tile 2 spaces to the right of the water, so that gas will fill it (carbon dioxide from the dupe doing the deconstruction, just a few grams), so that there's 1 solid tile between those few grams of carbon dioxide and the water Deconstruct the tile separating the gas and the water The water on the left doesn't immediately displace the tiny amount of carbon dioxide to its right (i assume because the carbon dioxide refuses to move upwards into the oxygen?) *edit: this report was kinda an afterthought, so I didn't test the steps, I'm just trying to reproduce one situation where I noticed it. Potentially there is the additional step to build an airflow tile above the one that will have the carbon dioxide in it, which renders the c02 unable to move upwards for the liquid; that would more accurately describe what I noticed most recently though I wanna say the airflow tile isn't always the culprit- i could be wrong there.

User Feedback

Not a bug, but a design choice.

1 tile can only be occupied by 1 kind of liquid or gas. Mixing is not possible.  (even it it looks so, when gases or liquids are in the process of sorting)

In your case: Oxygen occupies the upper end. CO² has to stay below oxygen. They cant mix, and CO² is heavier than Oxygen. And liquid ist heavier than every gas. Thats the order of things in the ONI-universe.

Share this comment

mm I think liquids should take priority over gasses when deciding which one will fill a tile, especially when it's 1000kg of liquid vs. 20g of gas lol if it's a design choice I'm a bit surprised. Like when you have a spill on the floor, and the floor has carbon dioxide on it, is the water able to flow along the surface and displace the carbon dioxide? Yes, else the spill would remain in the single tile it originated in. So why doesn't liquid always displace any gas competing for the same horizontal tile? It confuses me XD

Share this comment

OK yep looks like the c02 can't displace the oxygen and liquid has only ever displaced the c02 horizontally until it gets trapped by a solid. Oh well

Share this comment