Insulated tile rapidly drops temperature when conveyor rail transfers ice

MarcinW
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

As you can see in screenshot whenever ices goes through insulated tile it gets isolated tile much, much colder ignoring low thermal conductivity.

I was wondering why I suddenly got so much water after building conveyor rail. After some time I noticed that the problem was insulated tiles which melted ice and got colder and colder every time ice passed through it. 

Expected result: Ice don't gain temperature, insulated tiles don't get so affected by material on conveyor rail.
Current result: Ice gets warmer and eventually it melts, insulated tiles rapidly lose temperature.

Isulated Tile gets frozen.jpg

Steps to Reproduce
Build isolated tiles, conveyor rail and some ice makers. Send some ice on rails through isolated tiles.

User Feedback

It seems to be part of a bigger problem where materials "inside" a tile or building don't take care of thermal conductivity values. :(

Share this comment

Material inside other material rapidly exchanges heat if also an insulated tile made of insulation exchange heat there probably is a bug, might test it later.

Share this comment

I've been thinking about that and it may look strange but I'm not sure if its a bug or feature.

Lets say I got very big thermos made of hot iron. Then I drop ice into it. After some time I remove ice, but I guess it would melt warming inside of thermos. Outside iron is just room temperature. After I remove this melted water I can say I got two temperatures inside and outside, but I should only be able to transfer inside temperature to inside object basing on material (in our case iron) thermal conductivity.
In addition inside / outside temperature should transfer heat between each other with insulated thermal conductivity. Seems complex and I dont know how it is implemented in oni. Anyway it would make sense if insulated tiles show their inner temperature, which can be changed by passing material.

Also note that in conveyor overlay tiles that rail goes through are not shown as insulated ones but as only material insulated tiles are made of. 

What do you think?

Edited by MarcinW

Share this comment

Finished the test.
It appears that the ice exchanges heat very easily while inside the tile as expected, it does not exchanges heat whit insulation so no bug here, two material on the same tile exchange heat very easily, from the v2 of the bug you can see that insulated tile retain the heat and does not become hot again in a hotter environment.
v1 and v2 are the same experiments, one in a vacuum and one in 20° oxygen.

ice bug v1.sav

ice bug v2.sav

Share this comment

So if it works this way maybe there should be update in database description?

"The lowered thermal conductivity of insulated tiles slows any heat passing through them." - is miss leading if insulated tile exchange heat with items inside it.

Share this comment