Idle Bug

Iritar
  • Pending

I had my dupes set up to dig out what was essentially a bridge, and they isolated themselves on a point where they could not get off of a single piece of land. Standing on the land and falling 4 boxes vertically, they all became idle. I tried giving them new commands and reloading the save to get them to interact again, and neither of these worked.

20170309202132_1.jpg

So, I didn't notice that there was a gap there and that is totally on me. Thanks for the help guys.

Steps to Reproduce
1. Dig out a section of earth above another section of earth. 2. Set up a 1 by however long you want it to be, mine was about 1 by 7, "bridge" with nothing underneath it. 3. Dig out a portion so that the dupes are unable to get back to the "main land." 4. Have the dupes dig until they are all on one block, then dig out the final block. At the point my dupes hit the ground, they all became idle and stopped being able to be assigned any sort of job, essentially rendering the game unplayable.

User Feedback

Hello @Iritar, welcome to the forums.

My best guess is, that they can't get to it. Dupes can only jump across one empty tile. So try building a temporary tile in that gap between that mealwood and the stuck dupes. Always check for their Navigation paths, if they get idle for some unnoticeable reason, usually it's a pathing issue and they can't get to where you want them to.

Cheers.

Edited by Zillvr

Share this comment

They are idle because they are trapped with no way to move. They can't move when there's tile walls over 2 high and can't cross over spaces more than 1 tile. Have them build over the gap next to the computer and they'll become active again.

Share this comment

Click on those dupe, press the button "show navigation". it will show you where they are unable to go through like other commentator state.

• Like 1

Share this comment

@Iritar forgot to mention, to display a dupes Navigation path, you click them and in their status window/widget pop-up, you should see the button there. Click that, and lines of where that specific dupe can walk to would be shown in white lines.

Share this comment