Game lags when starting new game

thisisacting
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

i updated to the newest version of the game and ever since i did that, i can't play it because it starts lagging when i'm at the part where i pick my duplicants. it used to do this on and off before the most recent update but it would eventually fix itself after a restart of the game and i could play as normal. ever since the newest update, it just instantly lags no matter how many times i restart or reinstall the game. i've updated all my drivers, updated my computer (which i know it can handle the game), and i'd really like to play the newest update. has this happened to anyone else at any point? anyone have any fixes?

Steps to Reproduce
Starting the game

User Feedback

Can you get passed that screen without lag?

Any mods installed relating to dupe traits/generation?

Edit: This is possibly way off the mark, but before that screen, the entire map is created. You say it did it before "on and off" before the update. Sounds like your pc can barely handle the creation stage. It might be saving the world to file or into memory and it's having trouble keeping up. Low disk space? HDD failing? Out of memory? (close other stuff)

Edited by tommytom2k2

Share this comment

no mods are installed and i tried resetting my surface book to factory settings and it still doesn't work, it actually starts to lag sometimes right when the game loads where the menu is and if it doesn't then it starts to lag at duplicate selection. it worked fine 90% of the time before the newest update so i wonder what could have changed since the update

Share this comment

Sounded like HDD/memory issue, but not likely if you did a factory reset.

Sounds more like CPU/(GPU?) throttling due to heat.

You can try keeping it cooler, clean it for more airflow (if possible), or try adjusting your power savings settings (not familiar with surface books, so could be hard-coded for this).

If that is the issue, and to answer you question as to "what changed?", probably not much. At least here, it's a lot hotter lately... MUCH much hotter. Also, the game can be more CPU intensive, causing more heat, causing more throttling, and since it's more CPU intensive, that means more lag. Vicious circle.

Edited by tommytom2k2

Share this comment