Game lacks an option to fall back to ALSA output

moonheart08
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Steam Known Issue

Note that the option to file bugs for Linux is unavailable, so i just chose "Steam" because it's closest.
Oxygen Not Included expects PulseAudio for audio output and lacks any form of ALSA fallback, which some users (Like me, I have a dislike of Pulse for causing issues with ALSA only applications) results in the game being unable to play sounds.

Steps to Reproduce
Use any Linux distribution with X11 avaliable and the latest kernel. Uninstall PulseAudio Boot up Oxygen Not Included. Listen to the speakers, realize Oxygen Not Included isn't outputting anything.

User Feedback

@moonheart08 Which distro are you using? Could you run the game again, confirm there is no sound, and post the contents of ~/.config/unity3d/Klei/Oxygen Not Included/Player.log here?

Share this comment

9 minutes ago, 255 said:

@moonheart08 Which distro are you using? Could you run the game again, confirm there is no sound, and post the contents of ~/.config/unity3d/Klei/Oxygen Not Included/Player.log here?

There is a similar report with game logs found here:

Share this comment

Could you also try running the game outside of steam using the following command?

SteamAppId=457140   ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/OxygenNotIncluded/OxygenNotIncluded

Share this comment

Just now, 255 said:

Could you also try running the game outside of steam using the following command?

cd ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/OxygenNotIncluded; ./OxygenNotIncluded

The game doesn't run through the terminal or directly through double clicking in the file manager on linux. 

It just terminates with the following message:

<INIT stuff cut out>

Unable to preload the following plugins:
    libfmodstudioL.so
Player data archive not found at `~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/OxygenNotIncluded/OxygenNotIncluded_Data/data.unity3d`, using local filesystem

Share this comment

The game should run if the current working directory is the same as the executable. The message about being unable to preload the .so file is a red herring, the sound should work even with that message present. The error in your case above is related to the game not being able to find the 'OxygenNotIncluded_Data' directory in the current working directory.

Share this comment

1 minute ago, 255 said:

The game should run if the current working directory is the same as the executable. The message about being unable to preload the .so file is a red herring, the sound should work even with that message present. The error in your case above is related to the game not being able to find the 'OxygenNotIncluded_Data' directory in the current working directory.

Nope, was already in the correct working directory. I haven't found a single linux user able to run the game directly through the executable. 

Share this comment

My mistake, that message is a red herring too. I've updated my original instructions.

Share this comment