Game is unplayable

NSDI
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Player.logI've bought this game on 24 November on steam and I loved this game. So after a purchase I've played around 1.5 hours maybe and went to sleep, hoping to play again on the next day. But on the next day ONI recieved an update, which broke it for me. It started to crash after 10 - 15 minutes of the gameplay. So I've struggled 5 or 6 times then gave up trying.  "Okay, maybe devs will patch this out on the next two-three days". And then the game recieved another update on friday, which, as described fixes some crashing issue. "What a great day!" - I thought. A-a-and... Now the game is completely broken. I can't even start new game. I've tried to ask on steam forums but got no solution for the problem. Maybe devs here can give me advice

Steps to Reproduce

I don't know what caused it. It just happens to me.

User Feedback

Okay, things you may try:

Delete the file kplayerprefs.yaml in \Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded. (it happens the file cannot be accessed, and then the game wont start. It will be generated on next start)

Uninstall, then reinstall the game (the above file will not be deleted if you do so. So its a seperate step)

Do you use mods? If so, remove them. Some updates need the mod author to recompile the mod. If its not done yet, the mod can cause all kinds of problems.

Try to disable you antivirus for a test, or make an exception for the game folders. But dont forget to activate it again, if you completely disabled it for testing. 

Do you use cloud storage for any of the used folders? If so, dont. Its not working. 

I hope some of this may solve your problem.

• Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1

Share this comment

Thanks for the reply! I will try first two steps and will write here an update about results.

I don't use mods, because I want to experience vanilla first.

I don't use any of the antivirus software.

One small thing I've done yesterday: I rebooted my PC, hoping that this bug will magically fixes. I managed to start the game and played a little bit. After 5th cycle game crashed again. This was between end of the 4th cycle and beginning of the 5th, so I believe there is some problem with autosaving. And i saw this lines at the end of log file:

d3d11: failed to create 2D texture id=4104 width=288 height=288 mips=1 dxgifmt=2 [D3D error was 8007000e]

(Filename: Line: 584)

d3d11: failed to create 2D texture shader resource view id=4104 [D3D error was 80070057]

(Filename: Line: 534)

D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture (512 x 768 fmt 27 aa 1), error 0x8007000e
(Filename: Line: 207)

D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture (512 x 768 fmt 19 aa 1), error 0x8007000e

Share this comment

3 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

Okay, things you may try:

Delete the file kplayerprefs.yaml in \Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded. (it happens the file cannot be accessed, and then the game wont start. It will be generated on next start)

Uninstall, then reinstall the game (the above file will not be deleted if you do so. So its a seperate step)

Do you use mods? If so, remove them. Some updates need the mod author to recompile the mod. If its not done yet, the mod can cause all kinds of problems.

Try to disable you antivirus for a test, or make an exception for the game folders. But dont forget to activate it again, if you completely disabled it for testing. 

Do you use cloud storage for any of the used folders? If so, dont. Its not working. 

I hope some of this may solve your problem.

Thank you for solution! Now the game runs great! I have 7 duplicates and I played for 13 cycles right now. It crashed one time - when I alt+tabbed and opened chrome with dozens of tabs. So chrome consumed all RAM. But if I just playing it - no crashes. 

Share this comment

Game crashes again. It constantly crashes durring autosaving. I'm tired of this. There is 8 hours played in my steam profile, but in reality 1.5 hour I played it, while other 6.5 hours I struggled to launch this piece of dirt game. I will try to refund this game. Thank you, Klei

Share this comment

This question is closed for me, steam support approved refund. ONI is great game, but one gets the impression, that it's still in early access. Like in ree-ee-eally early access, judging by optimization. 

Share this comment

If I could make a wild guess I would say it is a RAM problem. Although ONI doesn't take much processor power ( I still play it on a laptop and still haven't fried it), it sadly needs maaaaany gb of ram memory and I think it would be good if they could change the requirements on steam. ONI takes 4GB to 8GB(or even more) of RAM by itself, depending on how much time/ how many cycles you play it. Before upgrading to 16GB ram it was rather hard to play it on 8GB. Every now and then I had to shout it down and reopen to clear some memory, and (of course..) never played more than 200-300 cycles because it was hard even opening the save file. Now with 16GB it runs smoothly.

I'm no expert and I'm just guessing here about what the bug could be, but.. I do know how frustrating it is at first to encounter a bug and I think you could give ONI another chance in the future because it is constantly evolving and improving. And also the devs respond pretty quickly to crashes and bugs but apparently work 5 days a week(I guess..) and not ten days or 40h/day(I guess..) 

Share this comment

2 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

If I could make a wild guess I would say it is a RAM problem. Although ONI doesn't take much processor power ( I still play it on a laptop and still haven't fried it), it sadly needs maaaaany gb of ram memory and I think it would be good if they could change the requirements on steam. ONI takes 4GB to 8GB(or even more) of RAM by itself, depending on how much time/ how many cycles you play it. Before upgrading to 16GB ram it was rather hard to play it on 8GB. Every now and then I had to shout it down and reopen to clear some memory, and (of course..) never played more than 200-300 cycles because it was hard even opening the save file. Now with 16GB it runs smoothly.

I'm no expert and I'm just guessing here about what the bug could be, but.. I do know how frustrating it is at first to encounter a bug and I think you could give ONI another chance in the future because it is constantly evolving and improving. And also the devs respond pretty quickly to crashes and bugs but apparently work 5 days a week(I guess..) and not ten days or 40h/day(I guess..) 

Yes, I know that colony sims can be very demanding on resources.  But the problem is how the game uses it. I know it will be hard to play on later stages with 8GB of RAM, but I can't survive even ten cycles with 3-4 dupes, without saying about hundreds of cycles with 30-40 dupes. It's not my problem, it's game's problem. When I played it, I looked in the task manager, curious about RAM consumption - it's barely eating 3gigs, wow. But then, when game autosaving - it swallowing all the free RAM and crashes. I think this is not normal. Looks like memory leakage or so. And yes, I'll definitely give this game another chance, when I will see some improvements in this direction.

P.S. Two updates back game worked excellent, I even managed to play for ~15 cycles or so without major bugs and crashes. On the next day I was not able to load saved game or create new one. If devs will give us an option to roll back update - I will buy it again

Edited by NSDI

Share this comment

I confirm this behavour on my PC (Linux steam on AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor with 16G of RAM), the RAM is filled by ONI and I hit oom.

When a game is running, loading is impossible, I need to quit for being able to restore another one.

Share this comment