Game Frozen, Full Red Screen

Nerokiwi
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: OSX Pending

while playing ONI, the game suddenly went thought ha heavy frame rate drop, and froze. I see spinning rainbow cursor, while the music is still going. 
every task done at this point takes ages (about 20-30 second), including pausing game, activate an overlay, clicking on something. 

occasionally, in this endless waiting time, the whole screen turn red. 

this happen on cycle 971 on a base which was already suffering for lowered frame rate while navigating around. 

I tryed to record the screen while happen, but turn out that the game froze my entire computer, with no hope of recovery. 

Steps to Reproduce

Oceania close to crash.sav

User Feedback

Hi @Nerokiwi, can you try running with mods disabled to see if they are the source of the issue? If it still occurs, please upload another output_log.txt after the crash - thanks for the report!

• Thanks 2

Share this comment

Hi there, 

Here we go again. So, long story is, that on the other base I reach cycle 800 before start having problem. upon progressing it reach a point in which I cannot get over a cycle before the game froze. So I started a new base, hoping that a smaller base would have less impact, but it already start behaving badly around cycle 150. Now I just reached 200 and it froze quite often. I would say that the game hardly stay alive more than 20-30 minutes, after that, it start freeze for few second, every 3-4 minutes. usually happen halfway between cycles, but mostly at random. 

most of the time the computer recover from the freeze, and the game goes on. But it gets worse and worse, to the point that the game freeze, and the only way out is force close the app (I tried to way for a long time for recovery without success). In these case the comptuer still perform, even if it's heavily slown down. 

Other occasion the froze impact heavily on the mac. I can still see it receive inputs, but somehow the screen do not uptade, and cover the screen with red patches all over. at random the whole screen turn red. The only way out of this is forse shut the mac. 

On some more rare occasion (happen only twice so far), after few minute of a frozen screen, mac stuck, it suddenly reboot itself

I'm attaching mac's specs, file save (without mods), and log. hope this helps... 

subterra cycle 200 Cycle 229.sav MacBook Pro.spx Player.log

ah yes, this second base was running without mods at the time of the last crash. 

Share this comment

Hi @Nerokiwi, unfortunately there is nothing in the Player.log that looks suspicious, and my local tests couldn't reproduce any similar issues.

Given the graphical artifacts you are seeing, and its impact on the Mac outside of the game (requiring a force-shutdown), I think there's a decent chance that you're experiencing a potential hardware failure in your GPU. It is possible that it only surfaces when the temperature gets high enough, which is why you're mainly seeing it on larger bases after 20-30 minutes.

Some potential test cases that could isolate the problem further:
 - If there's another cpu-intensive game that you own - try running that for awhile and see if similar failures occur.
 - If you happen to have access to another macbook, even if it's less powerful, try running ONI with this same colony - it might be laggy, but it shouldn't freeze the machine completely or display those red artifacts.

- See if there are any diagnostic tools that can be run on your machine that could verify that your GPU is functioning properly.

Let us know how it goes - good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

Hi there, 

thanks for the reply. 

Unfortunately I never experience this source of issue with other games. Not that there is many out there for mac.. I tried to run the old base on an old iMac. beside the extremely low framerate, the game could go on, but for the first time I hear the fans screaming.

How many DTU/s do i need to cool down my mac? joke aside, I've got a basic fan control, and now I'm monitoring the heat. GPU card got about 70°C up to the game went to an halt. Now the game is stuck, but on the activity monitor seems using CPU. How do I know if the game is stuck or it's still trying to calculate something? 

There is anything I can do on the setting to reduce the load? 

ah, since the game stucked, the heat as well went down to 60°C

Share this comment

Another idea: see if Options -> Graphics -> Low Resolution Textures helps the issue.

It might also be worth playing around with different resolutions, or windowed mode.

The fact that the game didn't freeze on another mac does suggest that there's some sort of hardware issue going on - double-check that your graphics drivers are up-to-date (I *think* the System Update handles that on mac books, but I'm not positive on that)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment