Game crashes on start-up

Gylthas
  • Pending

Whenever I start-up the game on my laptop (both via steam, as directly from install folder), it just crashes.

See crash report attached  (renamed to crash, was called output_log before).

Please also find DXDIAG attached.

System should be able to run Oxygen Not Included, drivers are up-to-date, etc.

Please assist, I don't understand why I can't play the game

Steps to Reproduce
Trying to start-up the game. Game crashes whenever I try starting it (pressing play in steam, or via the .exe in install folder. Both regularly and as admin. Nothing works

User Feedback

ERROR: Error in: MainMenu(Clone).MainMenu.OnPrefabInit
System.IO.IOException: Win32 IO returned 1816. Path: \\SERVER\RedirectedFolders\bart.timmers\My Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded

1816 is ERROR_NOT_ENOUGH_QUOTA

Have you tried running steam in admin mode? Also check your antivirus if any to make sure its allowing the game.

Share this comment

Yes, I tried running in admin mode. Yes, my antivirus allows me to run the game. Yes it uses my GeForce card.

I solved the crashes myself by re-installing on C: drive, instead of external harddrive (F:) where I install and run all my other steam games on.... it worked for about a week....

Since the patch, I get a new error -> I can (once again) not play the game.

It crashes on new game, it crashes on load game and it crashes on continue game.

See log attached and printscreen:

and yes, again I tried running both in admin and non-admin mode and no, my antivirus software does not block the game.

output_log.txt

Share this comment

That log file is still saying the game is on F:\ and it's still showing the same permissions problem as the original log file. Try manually setting the antivirus to allow the game since they can block things silently without you knowing.

Share this comment

and how do I do that?

I've got McAfee running but not possible to add programs to antivirus.

It would also help if you could explain why the game ran fine last week and does not run now (after patch)

Edited by Gylthas

Share this comment

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB50998

I cannot be 100% certain but it has happened in other games before where installing a game ran fine until a patch. This is because after a patch the exe file gets changed so the antivirus detects the change and thinks it's a new program.

So I'm basically guessing here, maybe when you installed it someone added a rule for ONI to mcafee or maybe it decided to allow it since external drives are less "safe". Then once the game patched, all rules went out the window.

The only thing certain is that it is trying to access your user folder and it is failing to do so. This either means somehow it does not have permission to, thus run as admin, or something is blocking it, thus antivirus. Of course I'm assuming on C:\ it is not 100% full which rarely happens and will cause system errors/issues anyway if that were the case. And assuming that your HDD/SSD is fine and does not have any corruption or signs of failure.

Other than those situations I do not know what would cause the game to not be able to access your user folder and read/write to it.

Share this comment

Is there a way to reroute the user folder to a user folder directly on C:?

User folder seems to be on my work server so it may be another firewall/antivirus I do not have access to that blocks it. Either that updated or suddenly stops the game after patch.

I copied My Documents to C, but the game still looks at the one on the server.

So I basically want the game to look in C:\My Documents\Klei/OxygenNotIncluded\ instead of in \\SERVER\RedirectedFolders\bart.timmers\My Documents\Klei/OxygenNotIncluded\

Is that possible? I also don't understand why I have no 'local' My Documents. Lack the knowledge to understand any of this.

Share this comment