Freeze game when Duplicants use a Jet Suits

AndreyB900
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

When I built the station of jet suits and Duplicants began to use it, the game freeze(frame rate drops, not full freeze). It looks like this - the cycle starts, the game works fine - Duplicants wake up and go to work. When they go beyond the base in jet suits - the game begins freeze terribly. When the cycle ends and the Duplicants return to base, the friezes end too. If I close access to jet suits - everything works fine.

output_log.txt DxDiag.txt

Steps to Reproduce

Just load my save file and allow use jet suits at the top of the base. For clarity, you can send them to kill creatures, so it slows down even more.

User Feedback

The game suffers heavily from excessive pathfinding. If there are many paths to the target location, the game will calculate them all, before deciding which one to use. 

Normally Dupes can only walk on surfaces, and that limits the possible paths.

Now the gain the ability to fly.> Endless variations in endless combinations. They can fly everywhere, reach everything. And therefor your computer has to calculate every possible path. 

Jet suits are a fine thing in general, but you may want to limit the space where they use them. 

Unfortunately this is no a bug, but a flaw in the design of the games mechanics, that cant be fixed.

Share this comment

28 minutes ago, SharraShimada said:

The game suffers heavily from excessive pathfinding. If there are many paths to the target location, the game will calculate them all, before deciding which one to use. 

Normally Dupes can only walk on surfaces, and that limits the possible paths.

Now the gain the ability to fly.> Endless variations in endless combinations. They can fly everywhere, reach everything. And therefor your computer has to calculate every possible path. 

Jet suits are a fine thing in general, but you may want to limit the space where they use them. 

Unfortunately this is no a bug, but a flaw in the design of the games mechanics, that cant be fixed.

Sad. I think this can be optimized. For example, restrict the selection of paths. I noticed that Dupes use flight too often, for example, a Duplicants flies and breaks a block to which there is foot access. They do not land where it is possible despite the fact that they have limited fuel. Once I saw a Duplicant sleeping in flight, because he did not have time to return to base.

Share this comment

They´ve already done some tweaks. You can be sure, if there would be anything they could do right now, they would. 

Share this comment