Duplicants stuck in finding safer area loop

JimmyJames
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Almost all of my duplicants get stuck in a loop "finding safe area" and congregate in the same spots.

In the attached save, they cluster in a pool of water in the top left corner, run back to the main base, then go back to that area, over and over.

Stuck in safe loop.sav

Steps to Reproduce
Load the attached save

User Feedback

It kinda clears up after a while, but it appears they go up top to breathe, but it's hot, so they go down to the bottom where it's cool, but there is barely any oxygen there and it gets inhaled or dissipates quickly.

image.png.896720f19409983a607d77012723bdda.png

You need to get the temperature under control.

You have 18T of algae and switched to electrolyzers way too quickly and built it inside your base with no cooling.

Switch back to algae until you can build a cooling system or crack open a ice biome to cool the output and put it outside the base.

Edit:

Also, you seem to have 0 insulation from the surroundings so you are going to slowly creep up to the ambient 110F or so of the other biomes. You batteries and power are all inside the base no insulated off adding more heat as well.

If you hit F3, you can see most of your base is RED besides the top left, top right, and the bottom right.

Edited by tommytom2k2
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

Thanks for figuring this out, and the tips!

I guess part of the issue is that there's nothing in the game that tells the player this is the problem. If a dup is in immediate danger you get a big flashing warning but having them avoid a situation without specific messages just makes it look like a bug.

I didn't think temperature would be an issue at that point; this is very helpful.

• Like 1

Share this comment

29 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Thanks for figuring this out, and the tips!

I guess part of the issue is that there's nothing in the game that tells the player this is the problem. If a dup is in immediate danger you get a big flashing warning but having them avoid a situation without specific messages just makes it look like a bug.

I didn't think temperature would be an issue at that point; this is very helpful.

Well, I am not sure exactly what is going on, I just know your base is WAAAY too hot, and it's only going to get worse.

The ambient temp is 110F (if you don't use F, the start temp is what 75F?) around you and that is creeping in, on top of the heat from batteries and all that, on top of the inevitable killer that will be the electrolyzers that output at a set ~150F. With set outputs like that, they don't kinda gradually not be hot anymore. They SET the temperatures to 150 and everything around them slowly heats up to that temperature if not isolated.

You are generally pretty safe if you just insulate the outer edges of your base (just make it as big as the starting biome, basically), put your oxygen generations outside the base (look up the electrolyzer Cryptic Fox made on youtube), and just run some radiant pipes through a cold biome. You are going to run out of water too with that many dupes if you dont start taming the steam geysers, etc. I usually only run 3-6 until I get to stable water/electrolyzers.

This game is very hard. lol. I think I started 5 different bases until I really started to understand how to do things correctly.

Edit:

I'd highly advise you to watch Francis John's recent youtube series for QOL3. He explains things really well and has very good ways of playing the game well and safely.

Edited by tommytom2k2
  • Like 1

Share this comment

It is difficult, but that's part of the fun!

This behavior loop does appear to be heat based. I unlocked sandbox mode for this map and dropped the temperature in my base and they started to behave normally.

Interestingly the battery cluster to the left of that screenshot seems to be impossible to cool. I dropped the temp down to the point where the gas in the air liquified (very cool that this happens, actually) and the batteries didn't drop a degree. Is this some sort of weird temperature feedback loop?

Share this comment

25 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

It is difficult, but that's part of the fun!

This behavior loop does appear to be heat based. I unlocked sandbox mode for this map and dropped the temperature in my base and they started to behave normally.

Interestingly the battery cluster to the left of that screenshot seems to be impossible to cool. I dropped the temp down to the point where the gas in the air liquified (very cool that this happens, actually) and the batteries didn't drop a degree. Is this some sort of weird temperature feedback loop?

well, if your batteries are gold amalgam, they actually are the worst of the metals when it comes to thermal conductivity. You probably should make them out of copper if you actually want to cool them down. Just be aware that puts that heat into the air. Shouldn't matter as long as they aren't overheating and the air around it is OK. I'm not even sure that would help a whole lot. A drop of liquid at the base would transfer more, I think. This game is kinda weird with things like that.

Edited by tommytom2k2

Share this comment