dupes getting slimelung while submerged in chlorine

UrsaPolaris
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

I've been trying to keep my dupes from ever contracting slimelung. 

it's an unnecessarily difficult goal but I'm at cycle 106 and with chlorine and a lot of patients and retries I've been doing pretty well.

however I have his a road bump. I wanted to make exosuits to try and make it a lot easier to keep the dupes from getting into contact with any slimelung.

ofcourse to make exosuits I'll need some thimble weed from the swamp biome, filled with slimelung.

I have pumped in chlorine and have been slowly inching my way through the biome to see what the limits are and I think I found it (as you probably saw from the title)

The whole endevour went well until cycle 106. where unexpectedly my dupes are catching slimelung, despite being fully submerged in chlorine gas and there being no trace of slimelung in the air where they catch it.

I restarted the cycle twice to make sure I hadn't made a mistake and let them dig to fast but the seem to just randomly catch it being in the swamp biome.

jobtastic homeworld no slimelung Cycle 106.sav

Steps to Reproduce
I'll attach my save file. down left I've started to dig into the swamp biome. most dig jobs there are on priority 4. if you only put the one ladder block next in line to priority 6 one or two dupes will come down the long ladder and catch slimelung despite there being no slimelung in the air
  • Like 1

User Feedback

Tried your save and .. btw do you know that you have slime blocks directly in your base? Just interesting fact aside your safety policy :)

I was always thinking that chlorine works only as slow detergent/killer against surface germs. Host germs must be "breathed out" over time. As basic imunity gain is 15% per day and every 10K germs take you 1%, you're safe when below 150K.

So, being on your position, I would dig a hole with max priority. Then forbide access there until miners get germs to minimum.

However, nice point is how did they got infected when they don't breathe in chlorine :)

btw I recommend adding sink on medbay exit, as doctors always leave with some surface germs when helping infected

Share this comment

1 hour ago, ParanoikCZE said:

Tried your save and .. btw do you know that you have slime blocks directly in your base? Just interesting fact aside your safety policy :)

So, being on your position, I would dig a hole with max priority. Then forbide access there until miners get germs to minimum.

However, nice point is how did they got infected when they don't breathe in chlorine :)

btw I recommend adding sink on medbay exit, as doctors always leave with some surface germs when helping infected

yea I found out that I made some mistakes but they weren't effecting my dupes so I just let them be and planned on dealing with them later. 

I found it pretty strange anyway that there was slime with surface germs next to bleach stone.

I could just deal with sick dupes no problem but the challenge I made for myself was to never let them become germ hosts in the first place. not one dupe. (if they never get sick why would I wouldn't even need a medbay, but I made it anyway out of habit)

Share this comment

Actually afaik slimelung is able to survive only above 10°C. My future plan is to cool down whole biom to see what will happen.

Anyway. Nice challenge .. good luck with that, but still, I don't think it's real based on what I know how game is designed.

To medbay .. as I played your save, I left it several minutes to see what will happen. Jean dug most of dupes and got like 300K slime germs, I left them unwatched and after a while she was at medbay with food poisoning and like 5K germs. So, seems like food poisoning is able to heal slimelungs infestation :D

Also, medbay is good for healing hypotermia. So yes, you can use few of them. Actually I have one med pod per three dupes .. already experienced bad moments so I'm ready now.

• Like 2

Share this comment