Dupes choose jet packs when there is no reason

WeSaidMeh
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Linux Pending

My jet pack dock is right next to the exo suit dock and the tube system. More often than not my dupes choose to use the jet packs to do tasks outside the base even when there is no need. The jet packs are rather slow, and my dupes can reach their destination 2 or 3 times faster using the tubes or even on foot. Why do they choose the jet packs?

When I have a dig/build project, it’s often faster to just lock the jet pack gate and force my dupes to go in their exo suits. Even with the additional ladder building it’s faster in the end.

I’m sure routes/paths are a difficult thing to calculate, and maybe the jet packs are the shortest route by a tiny bit, but definitely not the fastest. It may be more fun for the duplicants, but it’s really inefficient. Plus, it uses petroleum and produces additional CO2 when it’s completely unnecessary.

What would be a solution?

• optimize route/path calculation: if non-jet routes are faster (not necessarily shorter), always prefer those. Maybe even add an additional threshold: Do not use jet packs unless it’s at least 20% faster.
  • do not use jet packs at all unless it’s necessary: Only allow jetpacks for tasks that can’t be done otherwise, e.g. out of reach builds/digs.

Maybe it could even be a setting in the jet pack checkpoint: Always allowed / Allowed when faster / Only when necessary

Steps to Reproduce
Place a jet suit dock next to a exo suit dock and send dupes out for a task. They will prefer the jet suit even if they are much slower.

User Feedback

My workaround is to only allow some dupes access to jetpacks, that way at least a few will just run along the ground to do their tasks. The simpler solution might be to have the jetsuit wearer go by foot where possible, while wearing the jetsuit.

Share this comment

Pathing issues can be quite fiddly, so we've tried a small change to the "path cost" of using jet suits which makes them less desireable for reaching a destination than before. This definitely won't be a perfect solution, but please let us know how well it solves your problem. That change will be in the next hotfix.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment