Dupes and sweepers ignore biological cargo bays

M.C.
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

The only way to empty a biological cargo bay is by clicking the "Empty storage" button manually. Neither dupes nor sweepers can do it. Surely that can't be intended?

Steps to Reproduce
Build a rocket, equip it with a biological cargo bay, send it to a target with biological resources, wait for it to return with loot. Build a sweeper and a storage bin nearby, watch it remain idle. Build a gantry and watch your dupes ignore the cargo bay completely.

User Feedback

How do you unload critters from cargo bay? Sweepers cant do this. 

So i believe its intented. So you´re there to catch critters falling out. Or to build a trap at the bottom of the rocket, when its cooled down.

Share this comment

7 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

How do you unload critters from cargo bay? Sweepers cant do this. 

So i believe its intented. So you´re there to catch critters falling out. Or to build a trap at the bottom of the rocket, when its cooled down.

I should have clarified that I was talking specifically about wort and sleet wheat seeds. Of course you can't unload critters, but I sure as hell expect to be able to unload items that can be unloaded by dupes and sweepers in all other scenarios.

Also, if you want to be completely technical... we already have automatic (though dupe-assisted) relocation of critters: dupes will deliver from incubators and move critters between drop-offs without any manual input. A biological bay could, in theory, work as a drop-off with the "auto-wrangle surplus" option enabled and the maximum number of critters set to zero.

Share this comment

Yes of course it could work as a drop off with zero capacity. But what, if there is no stable for this kind of critter? This would break the system again. 

I´m sure, they are thinking about a solution. 

And if the devs are reading this, the easiest solution woult be, to get critters in a dedicated stable-rocket-part.

Share this comment

39 minutes ago, SharraShimada said:

Yes of course it could work as a drop off with zero capacity. But what, if there is no stable for this kind of critter? This would break the system again.

It wouldn't break the system, it would simply work the way it does now: you'd have to click the "empty storage" button to drop the critters. It's probably less dev work than creating a brand new rocket module, too.

Share this comment

You would have the next one, complaining, the module unloads everything, but critters, and have to be still unloaded manually. So this is no solution in terms of "works for all", but only "works for you".

Share this comment