Disk Write Error After "Breath of Fresh Air" Update

bees-knees
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Closed

Since the Breath of Fresh Air update on July 15th, Oxygen Not Included no longer opens or, apparently, updates correctly for me. I have played 160+hrs relatively successfully (aside from the occasional freeze when running several programs that, honestly, isn't much of a surprise) and none of my other games (included Klei's Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together) are having issues. When the update was first applied, it caused my game to crash multiple times, and several of these sent crash reports to Klei since they occurred while playing. Now, attempting to open or run Oxygen Not Included prompts an error message from Steam stating that a disk write error occurred while updating the game. The Steam downloader page also says that Oxygen Not Included needs to update, but couldn't due to this disk write error (screenshot included)

Here is what I've done to try to fix this problem:

• Restarted my computer several times. For a day or so, this seemed to work somewhat, and I could play for a few until the game crashed again and gave me an error message. Because of this, I have been able to play a bit with the Breath of Fresh Air update
  • Reinstalled Oxygen Not Included entirely (twice in the last few days, actually). I was hoping this would fix the apparent issue with updating the game if I reinstalled an already updated version, but obviously not
  • Restarted Steam
  • Ran Steam as an administrator
  • Verified local files several times. At this point, all files have been successfully validated (for a while it kept saying there was an unvalidated file but it looks like that finally got dealt with)
  • Checked if my antivirus or firewall was blocking Oxygen Not Included or Steam (as far as I can tell, they are not)
  • Repaired Steam library folder. It didn't seem like it was faulty to begin with, but I ran the repair anyways
  • De-fragmented my drives (again, as far as I can tell this wasn't an issue anyways, but worth a shot)
  • Attempted to remove write protection on game folders by opening the folder properties and making sure that "read only" wasn't selected. Not sure if this did anything. The system, the user, and the administrator (all just me) have full control permission
  • Made sure I didn't have any programs that could interfere with Steam or the game
  • Cleared the download cache
  • I don't have any mods or betas for this game installed or activated

I've included my DXDIAG system specs and my player log files. I'm honestly not sure if reinstalling Oxygen Not Included would have altered the player log files or rendered them incomplete or unhelpful. At this point, I really don't know what else I can do. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated

oni-download-error.PNG

DxDiag.txt

Steps to Reproduce

Attempt to open or update Oxygen Not Included following the July 15th Breath of Fresh Air update

User Feedback

Double check your antivirus software as many will silently quarantine. A number of players have recently reported this issue and this was the cause. Which antivirus software are you using?

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Thanks so much. I turned off Avast silent mode and made sure that Oxygen Not Included was an allowed app, and this fixed the problem.

Share this comment