CTD after < 5 min in game

CS96385
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Windows Pending

I just brought the game and can't play it for longer than 5 mins. I get into the game and start playing (not the new game bug). After a short amount of time the game crashes to desktop. The game is always still in Cycle 0. I don't get an error message.

Reinstall of vcredist did not help.

3 Crash Dumps, output_log, dxdiag and MSinfo are attached. The savegame will probably not help, but I attached it anyway. It happens on any new game.

A look into the dmp-files with DebugDiag shows always the same function crashing: FMODSTUDIO!FMOD::GEOMETRYI::SETUSERDATA+8D6A9 with a 0xc5 (access violation) exception. The memory address is not constant.

I assume a local problem, but can't pinpoint it...

PS: Also tested the Live branch. That crashes the same way.

SimDLL_CRASH_development_public_247630_20180113-18.01.08.dmp

SimDLL_CRASH_development_public_247630_20180113-18.21.54.dmp

SimDLL_CRASH_development_public_247630_20180113-18.23.15.dmp

output_log.txt

DxDiag 2018-01-13.txt

MSinfo 2018-01-13.txt

Spacejunk.sav

Steps to Reproduce
Start game, start playing a game. Crashes after a short time.
  • Thanks 1

User Feedback

Have you updated your drives, did windows recently update. this problem actually seems to be in multiple places on the forums specific to windows 10 and nvidia graphics cards

Share this comment

the problem is between windows and nvidia, there are some options, like changing scaling or enabling legacy windows components that might get you going, I can't make any promises though. :/ 

Share this comment

I think if it would be a general nvidia/windows problem it would be more common.

What options are you talking about? Changing scaling? What do you mean?

Are talking about DirectDraw in regards to "legacy windows components"? That is the only thing i can think of with that term. That or Compatibility mode...

I'd like more details, please.

Share this comment

There is an apparent conflict going around in regards to scaling, that occurs specifically with nvidia graphics cards on the new windows 10 updates conflicting with the way unity handles scaling.  How many of your other unity games go fullscreen?  As for legacy components, ignore that, yes I meant directdraw.  Enabling it doesn't hurt anything but isn't the problem. I've recently found out the scaling is at the heart of the issue and removing one or two modifiers from the fight resolves the conflict for some users.  TLDR; disabling scaling in the nvidia control panel fixes this for some.

Share this comment

I don't quite know what other games I have that use unity. I have many games, but I normaly don't check the engine... :D:D

I think I found the option you mentioned in the nvidia control panel under desktop size and position or whatever that section might be called in the english version. At least that is the only thing that had any scaling stuff that I could find. (I had an AMD Card in my previous PC, so I don't know the nvidia settings not that well yet...)

Sadly setting the option to no scaling did nothing for the games stability.

Crashdumps attached as allways. This time I used the release version.

The last dump is when I puit the game in win7 Compat mode with the Full Screen scaling deactivated checkmark set. This has another funktion id causing the crash in the dump file. Still the same funktion though.

Any more ideas?

SimDLL_CRASH_release_247630_20180116-02.23.54.dmp

SimDLL_CRASH_release_247630_20180116-02.28.42.dmp

SimDLL_CRASH_release_247630_20180116-02.38.50.dmp

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Well. That was the fastest crash yet. About 20 seconds ingame time. :D

First dump is 1080p windowed

Second is a smaler window.

Steam UI was already off before.

SimDLL_CRASH_release_247630_20180116-03.06.34.dmp

SimDLL_CRASH_release_247630_20180116-03.09.35.dmp

The nvidia overlay is also off.

I'm giving up for tonight. it's 3:40 in the morning here. Leave a message if you think of anything else.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Ok. I got it to work. For some reason windows decided not to install the 1709 update. I was still on windows version 1706... I will never understand Microsoft. Forcing everyone to autoinstall updates with win10 and then not installing all of them...

For other people with the same problem:

To find out what version windows is on press win-key + r and run "winver". If you don't have the newest version you can force windows update to check for new updates under settings -> update and security -> search for updates. Even if it says there are no updates it can't hurt to force a recheck.

PS: The link in the pinned "Help and technical support" thread in steam (http://steamcommunity.com/app/457140/discussions/1/133258092242338364/ ) points to a non-existant oni-alpha bugtracker. That should be easy to fix. :D

Edited by CS96385
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment