Crash to desktop on load after Klei logo

Jkhorvschki
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Closed

I tested the beta branches, and "public_previous_version - Before mergedown CS-469300 (Jun 27, 2021)" works. The current branch and the beta test branch both crash to desktop after the Klei logo.

This behavior has persisted through driver, operating system, steam, and ONI updates as well as reinstalling the game.

There is no save file(s) as the game does not get that far.

Steps to Reproduce
  1. Launch the game
  2. Wait for the Klei logo to appear
  3. Crashes during/after Klei logo

User Feedback

On 5/2/2022 at 8:44 PM, EricKlei said:

Most of the time this error message means your Steam Client is not up to date, see here for details

I advice for him download the redist because when user have New windows and when he downloads this game it not start run after logo without this. I have game in epic store and need todo that manualy.

Developers may not see this issue at all because by default those stuff comes with visual studio.

Edited by gabberworld

Share this comment

Apologies for the delay getting back to you. My Steam client is up to date and I have those redistributables installed. The behavior is still happening on the main branch, not on the 'old' branch.

Share this comment

Note that sometimes Steam says your client is up to date when you click Steam -> Check For Steam Client Updates but it's actually not. Here's my About Steam to compare.

image.png

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Your suspicion was right. I was able to figure out there was a locked directory in my Steam client install that was blocking the client from updating without actually giving me an error or warning.

After finally deleting that directory and forcing a Steam client update, I was able to get the game up and running again. Thanks for taking the time to help!

Edited by Jkhorvschki
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

26 minutes ago, Jkhorvschki said:

Your suspicion was right. I was able to figure out there was a locked directory in my Steam client install that was blocking the client from updating without actually giving me an error or warning.

Oh that's interesting, which directory was locked?

• Thanks 1

Share this comment