Can't unsubscribe mod if it's removed from Steam workshop

Nightinggale
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

The Steam workshop has had the first mod removed. (or first that I noticed vanished)

The problem is that now I have the mod in the list ingame. The name is now blank, but otherwise the mod is still on my HD. This is good because it prevents mod creators from breaking savegames by removing mods. Some other games will remove the mods instantly and ignore problems with savegame compatibility. That can be really annoying.

However it's not perfect. The way to remove a mod from the list is to click on the subscription button and it will open the mod's Steam page where I can click unsubscribe. However now that the mod has been removed from steam, the steam page says the mod doesn't exist, meaning there is no unsubscribe button. I'm now stuck with a mod in my list, which has a bug, which can kill all my dupes (presumably why it was removed) and apparently the only way to get rid of the mod is to manually edit mods.json to remove it from the file. Some way of getting rid of mods from within the game would be nice.

To clarify yes the mod is disabled and doens't affect gameplay. What I'm talking about is the ability to completely remove the mod to make sure I won't enable it later, not even by accident. I don't want something in the list, which I know I will never use.

It's also worth adding that the mod list can freeze for quite a while. I don't know if that's related as in it might freeze while trying to resolve a mod, which Steam doesn't know about. Related or not, it can be really annoying.

Steps to Reproduce
1: Subscribe to mod X in Steam workshop 2: Enter game and make sure mod X is in the list 3: Remove mod X from Steam workshop 4: Watch mod X in the mod list, now without a name

User Feedback

I dont think this can be solved by KLEI, because thats how the (not very good) mod-system of Steam works. 

Aside from inconvenient browsing and such, the Steam mod system has many flaws, they wont fix for years now. 

If i would make a game, i would abandon the Steam mod system, and make mods free. Klei already has a free mod system with ONI and added Steam-modding as second part. Get rid of this again. Sites like Nexusmods work fine. And mod managers for Unitiygames are already there. 

Share this comment

It can be solved by Klei because when Steam removes a mod, it is removed. ONI makes a copy and adds the copy to the mod list in the game. This solves the problem of breaking savegames by suddenly removing mods.

Now that the mod is gone from Steam, the subscription is technically gone too. However I didn't click unsubscribe and as a result ONI is keeping the copy.

4 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

If i would make a game, i would abandon the Steam mod system, and make mods free. Klei already has a free mod system with ONI and added Steam-modding as second part. Get rid of this again. Sites like Nexusmods work fine. And mod managers for Unitiygames are already there. 

I agree with this, but there are lots of (often casual) players who demand mods to be on Steam workshop. Sadly this seems to be a case of maximizing quality vs maximizing sales. Keeping a copy of each mod to prevent Steam from deleting mods already used in the game seems to be a good compromise. The only thing missing is a version history in the sense that if an update breaks savegames, the player should be able to revert mod version.

However the debate on the ideal mod system is off topic for this bug report. The report is purely about a now unnamed mod getting stuck in the list with no way to remove it. If you feel like the mod system should be changed, write another bug report or proposal specific on the topic of how to handle mod subscriptions in a way, which you view as best and why it's the best approach.

Share this comment