Base Temp value is wrong on everything that can over heat

Misca
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

When you select a building that can overheat, and mouse over the Over Heat Temperature, the tool tip incorrectly converts the base value from 348.2 K to 348.2°C when it should be 75°C, which is then incorrectly converted to 626.7°F, which should be 167°F (incidentally, 348.2°C = 658.8°F, not 626,7°F - you forgot to add 32) .  It doesn't seem to matter which building you select or what it is made out of.  The actual over heat temperature is correct though.  See attached screen shot.

Misca

Wrong Base Temp in Tooltip.jpg

Steps to Reproduce

See description.

User Feedback

As designed. All overheat temperature are assumed to be 0K.  Then, the item base value being +348.2 degrees makes it 0K + 348.2K, which is 75 degree celsius.

The Fahrenheit value is also correct : 

75C to °F  167°F

0K to °F = -459.67°F

167 + 459.6 = 626.6°F

which make base overheat value 626.6°F above 0K. 

Share this comment

You are incorrect, Mastermindx.  I agree that the base over-temp should be 348.2K, or 75°C or 167°F as you repeated from my post.  But I have confirmed that if the game option is set for Kelvin, it reports 348.2K (correct), but if set for Celsius, it reports 348.2°C (correct conversion is 75°C), and if you set it to Fahrenheit, it reports 626.7°F (correct conversion 167°F).  The Fahrenheit error is shown in the screenshot.  This error is further exacerbated by the fact that the tool tip says 626.7°F (base value) + 90°F (modifier for gold amalgam) = 257°F (over-temp value).  I am certainly glad whoever came up with that math is not managing my bank account...

Misca

Share this comment

So... I'll try again since you failed to get the point.

If you set temperature to Celsius, the "reference" overheat temperature is -273.2C.  So if your building overheat at 75C, then your base overtemp is +348.2 (75 - (-273.2))

If you set temperature to Fahrenheit, the "reference" overheat temperature is -459.67F. So if your building overheat at 167F, your base overtemp is +626.6 (167 - (-459.6))

The base overtemp is NOT based on 0 *insert temperature unit of choice*, it is always based on 0K no matter what your preferred temperature unit is, which makes total sense, at least for everyone who ever took a science class.

20 minutes ago, Misca said:

but if set for Celsius, it reports 348.2°C

The game doesn't report overtemp is 348.2.  The game report that it is +348.2, or 348.2 above absolute 0, which is -273.2.  -273.2 + 348.2 = 75

Same goes for Fahrenheit.  Reference value is -459.67(0K). If your building overheat at 167F, then it's +626.7 from reference value.

27 minutes ago, Misca said:

This error is further exacerbated by the fact that the tool tip says 626.7°F (base value) + 90°F (modifier for gold amalgam) = 257°F (over-temp value)

-459.67 + 626.7 + 90 = ???  What does it equals? 257.03.

11 minutes ago, Misca said:

I am certainly glad whoever came up with that math is not managing my bank account

Well, at this point, I'd trust them over you.

Share this comment

I get what you are saying, but if that is really what they are doing, then I think it is a terribly confusing way to display these temperatures.  The base value should be the temperature at which the base material over heats.  When a material with a higher over heat temperature is used, that modifier is then added to the base, and you get the new overheat temperature.  

Share this comment

This is a terribly confusing way to display temperature if you never took a science class or don't understand what temperature is. When you understand what temperature is, this makes more sense than anything else.

9 hours ago, Misca said:

The base value should be the temperature at which the base material over heats.

Everything is an offset.  The type of building act no differently than the type of material. The material act as a +50C overheat temp?  Well the building type act as a +348.2 overheat temp. When you start seeing the building type as a temp modifier the same way the material is, it just makes sense.  And I think it might play an even more important role once mods get involved.

9 hours ago, Misca said:

The base value should be the temperature at which the base material over heats

Why? Just.... Why? I mean... They do give you a plain, final, overheat value.

Share this comment

I agree with Misca that the way the temperatures are presented is confusing. The main problem is not the back ground calculations but implying the starting temperature of -273.2C when presenting the values.

In the tool tip the text "Base Value: +75C" has two implicit meanings, as I see it. 

meaning 1:
"Base value" meaning the starting point of your calculations, in which case the + sign only indicates that it is a positive number. The base value should then be indicated as 75C (or 167F, or 348.2K). 

meaning 2:
The + sign indicates this value needs to be added to some other value, The fact that no staring point of this calculation is provided presents an interesting option since there is a difference between absolute zero and the 0 in the scale that is used. Not giving a starting point for the calculation however should in my opinion mean starting at the 0 point of the scale being used.

I would prefer using the "base value" as a starting point of the calculation (making it 75C in my case), but for the developers it might be easier to just present the 0K (or -273.2C in my case) as starting point of the calculations in the tool tip. Either way would remove the confusion of what the tool tip indicates. 

Share this comment