Sign in to follow this  

(Base) Game Crashes at Launch - NullReferenceException

SourCream011
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Game crashes at launch and is unrelated to mods as far as I can gather. Any help? Pics, logs, and error below.

About a month ago, I had to reset my laptop and reinstalled Steam and ONI. The game had functioned properly since then and as far as I'm aware, there have been no broken updates since the last time it ran properly either. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly when I last ran the game error-free.

According to the player log, Steam couldn't initiate in time and couldn't initiate Steam distribution platform. The DXDiag was less readable and I am unclear from the file what might be wrong.

Submitted a crash report at least once. I did everything I thought I could do. I apologize if this was submitted poorly.

Thank you!

Error I get every time:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

KModalScreen.OnCmpDisable () (at <ab4bdc425be2489bb8a9b667082958c0>:0)
KMonoBehaviour.OnDisable () (at <7888ce3a87c24906b6c550663f653f46>:0)
UnityEngine.GameObject:SetActive(Boolean)
ConfirmDialogScreen:OnPrefabInit()
KMonoBehaviour:InitializeComponent()
KMonoBehaviour:Awake()
UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(GameObject, Transform, Boolean)
Util:KInstantiateUI(GameObject, GameObject, Boolean)
Util:KInstantiateUI(GameObject, GameObject, Boolean)
InitializeCheck:ShowErrorDialog(String)
InitializeCheck:ShowFileErrorDialogs()
InitializeCheck:Awake()
UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(GameObject, Vector3, Quaternion, Transform)
Util:KInstantiate(GameObject, Vector3, Quaternion, GameObject, String, Boolean, Int32)
Util:KInstantiate(GameObject, GameObject, String)
LaunchInitializer:Update()

Capturoe.PNG

Cacpture.PNG

DxDiag.txt

Steps to Reproduce

1) Launch the game. I tried both through Steam and by running straight from the .exe (with and without admin) and no luck.

2) Encounter the error and reach the end of the road.

Sorry if I can't be more help in describing my problem.

Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Note that if you are checking with Steam -> Check for Steam Client Updates it might not be accurate, you need to check the build date on Help -> About Steam in this case. Regardless, if you could post that information it will help me figure out what's going on.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

3 hours ago, EricKlei said:

Note that if you are checking with Steam -> Check for Steam Client Updates it might not be accurate, you need to check the build date on Help -> About Steam in this case. Regardless, if you could post that information it will help me figure out what's going on.

Here you go. I appreciate this!

Capteure.PNG

Share this comment

That's the same version I have. This might be an issue with Steam as we haven't modified this code recently. You could try adding the game to your Windows firewall settings as outlined here. Also check any third party security programs you have installed.

If that doesn't work I would suggest reinstalling the game. Make sure the install folder is cleared after the uninstall. All your save games are stored in Documents/Klei/OxygenNotIncluded so they shouldn't be touched, but as always backups are a good idea.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

I tried letting it through my firewall, no luck. (I tried uninstalling and reinstalling my security software as a bonus.)

I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it with no success.

I'm reinstalling the game now just in case, but I'm skeptical.

Any more ideas? Thanks for all the help so far!

Share this comment

Reinstalling Steam would be my next suggestion, you can do so without having to reinstall your games. This is likely more a Steam issue than an ONI issue. We are using their latest Steamworks SDK while a lot of games are still using older versions, which might not have this problem.

Share this comment

Reinstalled Steam to no avail. Verified integrity of the game files out of curiosity and desperation and still no bueno.

Share this comment

Does running ONI or Steam as administrator work?

Here's another thread where I helped troubleshoot this issue but it was ultimately an outdates Steam client.

Edited by EricKlei
Edited out dev only suggestion

Share this comment

Okay, so now the game works, but only when running it as administrator (I popped over to the game folder and used the .exe) and not through the Steam library. No idea how to take it further, but now I can at least play the game! Thanks a million! Is there anything I can do to give you more info on my issue so you can work it out easier? Logs? Again, can't thank you enough!

Edited by SourCream011

Share this comment

It sounds like there's a file ownership mismatch between the game and Steam maybe. You might be able to investigate this yourself and fix it, otherwise you might want to reach out to Steam support as the Steam Client is responsible for setting up file permissions/ownership when the game is installed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment