abyssalite piping thermal conductivity

MTzu
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

The heat transfer of any insulated piping is lower than the heat transfer of standard abyssalite piping.

To prove this I created the following experiment.

Standard view

Spoiler

20180907210536_1.thumb.jpg.dacdeac293cf7a4bafaece8c67abeed3.jpg

Thermal view

Spoiler

20180907210945_1.thumb.jpg.585e6c47ba6902bebb83097cddae243c.jpg

This experiment is split into six vacuumed cells. The pumped petroleum and hydrogen on the left side is at -50°C. The control cells in the middle are at 20°C. The right cells are at 120°C.

Now lets take a look at an individual cell:

Spoiler

20180907213433_1.thumb.jpg.226e20b69410093ff4f2b7c6cf9617c4.jpg

The cells are vacuumed and consist of 4 different pipe types. All pipes are at 20°C.

From left to right:

1. standard abyssalite
  2. insulated abyssalite
  3. standard granite
  4. insulated granite

After pumping the liquid and gas into these pipes and waiting 1/2 cycle, we get the following results:

Spoiler

20180907214141_1.thumb.jpg.005c5ced79183b80074175d4f8230195.jpg

As expected in the control group the temperatures didn't change at all. The insulated abyssalite piping didn't change its temperature in any of the 6 cells.

BUT the standard abyssalite absorbed or radiated much more heat than the insulated granite piping, even though the thermal conductivity of standard abyss (0.000) is lower than the conductivity of insulated granite (0.106).

Lets take a look at an individual cell (120°C petrol cell) :

Spoiler

20180907214713_1.thumb.jpg.bc32c8d05d1e11e412bd37fea9ce271d.jpg

As you can see the abyssalite pipe absorbed more heat from the petroleum than the insulated granite pipe. In this short time it even absorbed more heat from the petroleum than the standard granite piping.

Thermal conductivity.sav

Steps to Reproduce
download the savefile and see for yourself

User Feedback

If this is intended behaviour, there should be either an update to the conductivity of abyssalite or an ingame notice, that explains the observed behaviour.

How it works right now is very misleading.

I thought, standard abyss should insulate better than insulated piping because of abyssalites insanely low thermal conductivity (0.000 < 0.106). But as you can see in my post this is not how it works.

Share this comment

Wow, I was not expecting this. Now I'm wondering how my base didn't overcook yet seeing the results of your test. I would also expect regular abysalize liquid&gas pipes and tiles to be fully insulating.

I second the opinion that if this is indeed the intended behaviour, at least something in the description of the pipes (regular,insulated,radiant) should hint at how the pipe will transfer heat. I think I read somewhere that the regular piping now takes the average thermal conductivity between itself and the medium it touches, but didn't pay it much attention becouse in-game abysalite, even piping, was still only saying thermal conductivity 0.000.

Share this comment

well abyssalite tiles are fully insulating. They don't transfer any heat whatsoever. My standard abyssalite tiles insulating my Volcano didn't change in temperature for 400 cycles or so.

on the other hand, buildings out of abyssalite, like a ladder or a metal refinery out of abyssalite do conduct heat with its surroundings quite well. My abyssalite ladders in the same volcano already heated to 1627°C!
There are also posts about abyssalite instantly evaporating stuff like petroleum when it comes in contact with it.

There definetly are inconsistencies when it comes to thermal conductivity. It says in the game, that thermal conductivity between to objects is determined by the one with the lowest conductivity but that definetly is not what is happening in the game right now.

Share this comment

Was that happening in the previous update? I thought that my base was a little bit too hot and I didn't know why. After the new update I started a new base and I didn't reach the geyser yet so I don't know if it's the same.

Share this comment

I would really like that this fixed asap because I stopped playing because of this. :(

Ok, I have read the forums now. It's not a bug it's a feature. Too bad not too intuitive.

Edited by Borsuk33
Correct myself

Share this comment